- Travel and Places»
- Travel Activities & Ideas
Fishing in Blue Ridge, Georgia
Located in Northern Georgia not far from Tennessee, Blue Ridge, Georgia is about a 90-minute drive time north of Atlanta, in Fannin County -- the Gateway to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Not only fishing, but outdoor vacationing, hiking, birding (bird watching), hunting, boating, and other recreational activities are abundant in this area.
Driving from Atlanta on I-75 North, proceed to I-575. You will find this name changes to Georgia Mountain Parkway at the Cherokee County & Pickens County line. Continue driving on the same road for 55 miles until you reach to Blue Ridge.
The Blue Ridge Mountains run southwest from central Pennsylvania to Springer Mountain in Fannin County, where other mountain ranges take over and move westward. The Blue Ridge Range is younger than the Great Smoky Mountains nearby. Over 100,000 acres of land is governed by the US Forest Service in Fannin County and this indicates good hunting and fishing possibilities as well.
Lake Blue Ridge is a good place to start fishing, but there are others as well.
Blue Ridge Lake Marina
Directions from Blue Ridge, to the Lake, 2.8 miles away:
- Drive northeast on East 1st ST/ US-76 BR/ GA-5 BR toward DEPOT ST. Keep driving to follow 1st ST for about a mile
- Next, East 1st ST changes into VETERANS MEMORIAL HIGHWAY. Drive on this for 1.6 miles.
- Turn slightly to the right onto MARINA DR and drive for just 0.2 miles.
- Go to the MARINA at 335 Marina Dr Blue Ridge, GA 30513
A Georgia State Fishing License is required. Maps and live bait are available at the Marina. You can catch trout, stripers, large mouth bass, and small mouth bass.
Licenses can be purchased online from the Georgia State Natural Resources site are at over 1000 retailers that include bait shops and hardware stores.
Additional information on fishing sites: Click Here.
Blue Ridge Marina
Blue Ridge Fishing & Outfitters
- 490 E Main St, Blue Ridge - (706) 632-1880
Stanley's Pro Shop
- 4187 East First Street, Blue Ridge - (706) 632-2441
- 123 Newport Rd, Blue Ridge - (706) 838-0585
Browns Feed & Seed
- 55 Mountain Ln, Blue Ridge, GA - (706) 632-2508
Tri State Bait & Tackle Shop
- 8196 Lakewood Hwy, Mineral Bluff, GA - (706) 374-2030
Wolf Creek Tackle -
- 25 Wolf Creek Spur, Mineral Bluff, GA - (706) 374-2281
- 8614 Blue Ridge Hwy, Blairsville, GA - (706) 781-2578
- 10 N Main St, Ellijay, GA - (706) 698-4327
Discount Sporting Goods
- 3106 Chatsworth Hwy, Ellijay, GA - (706) 226-1604
Paradise Bait & Tackle
- 5606 Paradise Ln, Blairsville, GA
Blue Ridge Cabin Rentals
Blue Ridge Parkway by Bike
Additional Fishing Sites
Additional fishing sites that you can locate through Map Quest or Google Maps include:
Year Round Trout Fishing:
- Conasauga River
- Ellijay River
- Fightingtown Creek
- Mountaintown Creek
- Noontootla Creek
- Rock Creek Lake
Seasonal Trout Fishing:
- Charlie Creek
- Etowah River
- Jacks River
- Owenby Creek
- Persimmon Creek
- South Fork Rapier Mill Creek
- Star Creek
- Toccoa River Tributary - DIRECTIONS:
- From Blue Ridge, GA; go northeast on East 1st ST/ US-76 BR/ GA-5 BR toward DEPOT ST for about 0.3 miles
- Turn LEFT onto MOUNTAIN ST/ US-76 BR/ GA-5 BR and drive to follow US-76 BR/ GA-5 BR for about 1/2 mile.
- Drive on US-76 BR/ GA-5 BR as it changes to GA-5 and stay on it for 10 miles.
- Turn LEFT then turn RIGHT onto BRIDGE ST in McCaysville, GA and the river is right there.
Road Conditions & Maps
There are a lot of unpaved roads in Fannin County, Georgia that include old logging roads and dirt roads -- You might encounter some of them while fishing or on your way to various fishing locations. See maps here: