Flights To Newquay Airport, Cornwall
There are several flights to Newquay Airport from around the country every day. However, the providers of flights to Newquay Airport are continually changing. There are two seasons (summer and winter) and flights available tend to change between seasons, with more flights during the summer holiday season. Various small budget airlines have trialled flights to Newquay over the years - mostly successfully.
Newquay Airport is just outside of the town by a few miles to the north. It's a small airport, hardly larger than one room - and with one plane landing at a time - although it does handle nearly 500,000 passengers each year. The runway itself is one of the biggest in the world and can land any plane, no matter how large, so it can be used as an emergency landing strip for any plane in trouble.
Until recently, Newquay Airport was owned and operated by the local RAF St Mawgan. When the RAF started to withdraw, Newquay Airport was considered so important to the economy of the county that Cornwall Council took it over, in order to develop it. The long-term plan being that at some future point a willing investor would be found to take ownership of it, at which time the Council would sell it on.
- Newquay Events Diary | Newquay Town
Events in Newquay, ranging from surf contests, through to music festivals and sandcastle competitions!
Airlines With Flights to Newquay Airport
The list of airlines with flights to Newquay Airport can change as often as twice a year. Timetables seem to only be set up to 3-4 months in advance - and routes/frequency change yearly. However, here is a list of the airlines with flights to Newquay Airport:
- AirSouthWest - sold to another airline in September 2010, There are no flights to or from Newquay with AirSouthwest
- FlyBe - no longer operating
- Skybus - to the Isles of Scilly
- BMI Baby
Newquay Airport is only open for take-off and landing between 06:30 and 21:45.
UPDATE JUNE 2013:
The flights change too often to be able to realistically update this information.
There were a lot of changes in 2010-2011 with Newquay Airport and the airlines that flew there. AirSouthwest withdrew all flights and Flybe stepped in to provide a broader service. Some services are summer only.
As flights to and from Newquay are seasonal and changeable, it's always best to double check the latest information with the airllines, rather than relying on the list below. News announcements can come at the drop of a hat and services withdrawn.
There have been further changes and it's something that needs checking almost daily, so this information isn't here any longer.
Transport from Newquay Airport
Once you've landed, you'll need to get to your destination. Because of the variable flights, flight times and changeability of airlines using Newquay Airport, it's not on a regular bus route and so you do need to think how you're going to get from the airport to anywhere else.
Nearest Railway Station
The nearest railway station is Newquay Railway Station, with daily (but limited) branch line trains which will get you onto the mainline railway line through Cornwall. The nearest mainline stations are St Austell (16 miles) and Bodmin Parkway (22 miles).
Car Parking at Newquay Airport
There are 544 car parking spaces at Newquay Airport, there's also a dropping off and picking up area in the car park.
Transport Options from Newquay Airport to Newquay
Regular bus service
Western Greyhound run a bus only to/from London Gatwick flights. They will wait up to 45 minutes for the last plane
Summercourt Travel run a taxi-bus, which you need to book.
Pre-book a taxi to be waiting for you/
Avis Rent a Car, Europcar, Budget Car Hire and Hertz operate from Newquay Airport.. Check their opening times for the day/time you arrive. Car hire from £14/day with Avis
Car Hire at Newquay Airport
There are three car hire offices at Newquay Airport:
- Avis Rent a Car opened up a new office at Newquay Airport in October 2010, with car hire from £14/day. Website: http://www.avis.co.uk
- Hertz: Variable opening times from 07:00 to 22:00 on different days of the week. Website: http://www.hertz.com/
- Europcar: Open 10:00-22:00 Mon-Fri. 08:00-15:00 Saturday. Website: http://www.europcar.co.uk/
- Budget Car Hire. http://www.budget.co.uk
Taxis for Flights to Newquay Airport
It's roughly 6 miles from Newquay airport into Newquay itself. You can expect to pay £12-15 for a taxi one way. You will need to book in advance.
The main local taxi companies to call are:
- A2B 01637 877777
- Summercourt Travel: 01726 861108
- Pats Cabs: 01637 830637
Take a Tuk Tuk
If you're after something a bit special, something a little different, then why not take a tuk tuk ride to your accommodation: Take a Tuk Tuk
Bus Services Meeting Flights To Newquay
Since 2009 a regular bus service has been available at Newquay Airport for flights to Newquay from London Gatwick Airport, before this you'd have to make your own arrangements - a bti of a shock to many people as they assumed any airport would be well serviced!
These services meet the London Gatwick planes only. If the last flight of the day is delayed, the bus will wait up to 45 minutes for it. Newquay airport is on the Padstow->Newquay route.
You do not have to pre-book a seat. Ticket prices are: Single £2.70, Day Return £4, Family Single (2+3) £5.40.
Service Number: 556
Telephone: 01637 871871
Timetable is available online: http://www.westerngreyhound.com/routes_and_times.php
Summercourt Travel Airlink Taxi Bus
This service must be booked. It's a taxi-bus (shared taxi) that will collect you from Newquay airport and take you to wherever you are staying. The beauty of this is that if you're travelling alone you get the benefit of a taxi, but are sharing the cost with others. And, they're eco-friendly.
The taxi bus runs twice an hour, at 15 minutes past and 15 minutes to the hour - if a flight's delayed it will wait as long as possible.
- The Airlink Taxi Bus only goes into Newquay, if you're booked elsewhere then you will need your own taxi. If you need to get to Truro, you can use this service and ask the driver to transfer you to the 403 bus as your Newquay destination.
- You must book a seat on the airlink taxi bus
- You must tell them if you have a surfboard or exceptional luggage requirements
How The Airlink Taxi Bus Works
How much you pay depends on how many others also book the taxi bus. If you are the only one then the fee is £11. If there are two of you in the taxi bus then it is £5.80 each. If there are three or more of you in the taxi-bus the cost is £3.90 each.
Summercourt Travel also run local buses, so you can book the taxi-bus to go from Newquay Airport to Truro simply by booking a seat, then asking the driver to transfer you to Service 403 - this will cost you an extra £2, but provides you with a journey from Newquay Airport to Truro.
There is an equivalent system and bookable taxi-bus going to Newquay Airport as well.
Airlink Bus Timetable: http://www.summercourttravel.com/410.pdf
Directions to Newquay Airport
Tips for Flights to Newquay Airport
- Keep an eye on the flight, flights are sometimes cancelled for weather reasons, or because an airline is pulling out of the route.
- There is a bus service that meets flights to Newquay Airport from London Gatwick, no service meets other flights.
- If you're going to want a taxi to town, book it to be waiting for you.
- If you think it's not far and you can walk from the airport - be aware that the airport is in the middle of fields, the roads are narrow, unlit and have no pavements.
- From when you land, if you have luggage, you can expect to be clear of the airport terminal building within 10-15 minutes.
- Taxis outside will most likely have been pre-booked by people. There are limited taxis available, so try to pre-book.
- The airport is not 24 hours, it opens at 06:30 and closes at 21:45.