St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church commands an imposing position overlooking the busy intersection of Coventry Road and Fairmount Boulevard in the residential heart of Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Serving the largest Episcopal congregation in Ohio, it is one of the key properties contributing to the Fairmount Boulevard District’s listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
However, St. Paul’s Episcopal rose from distinctly humble beginnings. Founded in 1846 in the city of Cleveland, the congregation lost its first timber structure of 1849 to fire. A new structure was occupied by 1851, and in 1858 a small Gothic Revival brick church was erected at Euclid Avenue and East 4th Street (roughly where The House of Blues resides today) in Cleveland.
The growing congregation then outpaced that structure, as well as its next, a church located at East 40th Street in Cleveland. By the 1920s, plans were afoot for a new church in growing Cleveland Heights, to be located at 2747 Fairmount Boulevard.
Designed in English Gothic style by architect J. Byers Hayes (of the locally renowned firm of Walker & Weeks), the present church saw its first service in April of 1928. The structure’s present nave was dedicated in 1951, and in 1952 received a pipe organ — a definitive creation of local organ-builder Walter Holtkamp. That instrument is joined by two additional pipe organs.
View this grand edifice from northbound Coventry or westbound Fairmount.