jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

If on a cruise, do you shop on the ship or purchase things at attraction spots?

1. profile image43
    rajajo22posted 8 years ago

If on a cruise, do you shop on the ship or purchase things at attraction spots?

2. NewHorizons profile image79
    NewHorizonsposted 8 years ago

On the cruise ship, the goods sold are bound to be authentic and of good quality.  Sometimes they even have short seminars about their wares, like for example diamonds.  This is my opinion at least.  when you buy from attraction spots it depends whom you buy from.  From the open markets goods are cheaper but you never know about the quality

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 8 years ago

We usually check prices on ship and then on shore. We hardly ever buy anything more expensive on vacations than perfume. We buy tourist stuff for family and look for one nice souvenir for our selves to remember the trip.

4. pendell2 profile image62
    pendell2posted 8 years ago

If you are on honeymoon or celebrating an anniversary, I would strongly consider purchasing your most expensive gifts and resort-style clothing before leaving home.
          Our experience was that the goods aboard ship varied greatly in quality and were no bargain. Ditto gift items at port destinations.  Port gifts are flown  or barged in from the U.S. at great expense, then sold to you, the captive market.

Of course you will want trip momentos but "nothing more expensive than perfume" is good counsel.

5. lovelights profile image73
    lovelightsposted 7 years ago

We always purchase our things on the cruise ship, unless it's a t-shirt that we want to get specifically from one of our ports that we stop at, that's not available on the ship.

6. elizabeth21 profile image65
    elizabeth21posted 7 years ago

If at all you wanna get goods of good quality and authencity, there are quite many places off the ship, where you can get them. If at all  you go by a ship which sells good that you don't find in your city and if they happen to be things that need a warranty, that need someone to get back to if not working, you may go for purchase inside. But according to me, you spend so much time and effort to choose a place to visit and it would be nice only if you save enough cash to check out that place's commodities. That will only keep your memories alive of the travel experience that you have had. Anyways, "Buy not so expensive stuffs in an unknown land" can be taken as an unwritten rule for a traveller!

7. Abecedarian profile image78
    Abecedarianposted 7 years ago

It depends, we bought very little on the ship, although they did open up the shops one night for a fabulous sale. I wanted things to bring back from the places we went so that is mostly what we did. Little momentos of the different attractions. I bought a gorgeous shawl in Portland Maine for $10. Works well with cocktail dress.