What Civil War site or sites should someone visit for their first time doing so

1. MinnesotaNorseman profile image74
    MinnesotaNorsemanposted 8 years ago

What Civil War site or sites should someone visit for their first time doing so ???

I'd like to drive from Minnesota to location, I'll have 10 days for driving and visiting Civil War site or sites.

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 8 years ago

Gettysberg, Bullrun, Antietam, Shiloh, Shenandoah, Cold Harbor, Fredericksberg and following Shermans march to the sea would be pretty cool! I have National Geographics Civil War Atlas and it's great. It shows good maps and how the battles played out. That will be a great trip! That ones on my list!

3. MinnesotaNorseman profile image74
    MinnesotaNorsemanposted 8 years ago

WOW !!!   Didn't it take the yanks and rebs about 4 years to cover that much ground !!!  That would be a dream trip to a buff Civil war newby like myself. Thanks for the tip on the NatGeo atlas. I have the "Eyewitness to the Civil War" from them and it's a wonderful lapful of eye and brain candy. I wish I would have gotten the Civil war bug decades ago because one needs a lifetime or two to absorb all that is was, and all what it continues to influence at present. I absolutely do not doubt there are uncounted Americans living like the Civil war is alive and being fought today. Reenactors are just the tip of the iceberg of those whose behavior is influenced, unconsciously or purposefully, by the Civil war and its aftermath. Those who do no know history are damned to repeat it, and Americans today are behaving without a good knowledge of our own Civil war to temper that behavior. Instead of North and South divisions, we seem to have a "right" and "left"  division battling it out with words so far, but fighting deeds are a close-knit companion of fighting words !!!

working