jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is travel @ light ever going to become a reality?

1. A_K profile image74
    A_Kposted 7 years ago

Is travel @ light ever going to become a reality?

2. profile image48
    caribgal20posted 7 years ago

scientist can predict and do so many things. But i don't think that will become a reality

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i believe it is going to happen. we are advancing at such a rapid rate that it seems nothing we dream about can't become reality. i think the biggest problem with light speed is not hitting something as you move.

4. mvjohn100 profile image60
    mvjohn100posted 7 years ago

yes I believe so. 100 years back Is anybody believed TV is possible.It seems to be impossible with our current knowledge. but I believe new paths will be emerged

5. royalbert profile image54
    royalbertposted 7 years ago

If we can travel with the speed of sound then we can also travel with the speed for light.

6. sheerplan profile image56
    sheerplanposted 7 years ago

It may be possible but probably not in the way most people think.  When an object nears the speed of light its mass also nears infinity.  Infinite mass would require infinite energy to accelerate.  So, accelerating an object to the speed of light is probably not possible because of the energy required.

However, scientists think that space itself expanded faster than the speed of light just after the big bang.  They are doing research on moving a part of space faster than light speed with an object isolated within it.

This way space would move faster than the speed of light but the object would be stationary within that space (but moving with it) and not increase in mass.  I hope this makes since smile

If this doesn't work there is always the wormhole theory.  But that isn't actually light speed travel either.

7. profile image0
    Rouillieposted 7 years ago

At light what...speed?  Clarification requested.

8. ahmiz profile image60
    ahmizposted 7 years ago

I think going at that speed would produce enormous amounts of friction/heat, yes? Maybe even disintegrate matter, making the travel pretty useless (I'm no scientist, this is a wild guess on my part)? There're certainly lots of issues before travel at light speed can become reality. I would never say never; science has brought us many advances once thought impossible. But probably won't happen in our lifetime.

9. Simipage profile image58
    Simipageposted 7 years ago

Perhaps in the future, but not in my days....

working