For those who have been to Uruguay or want to go, what would be your itinerary?
I've always wanted to go just to visit a friend in Montevideo. As for what I'd do there -- no idea, I'd leave it up to him, he knows the city. He also suggested visiting Punta del Este, but only during the off-season so it's not completely overrun. I'd love to take a scenic tour through the more rural parts of the country, I'm not much of a city-type person.
Depending on time, it would be well worth it to just organize your itinerary around each of the 19 district capitals. Each of the 19 departments has scenic landscapes and distinct activities. Otherwise, here are suggestions, which are based on availability of unique souvenirs to collect without fuss or too much expense as well as fun activities and gorgeous landscapes:
1. Montevideo, the cultural, economic, historic and political capital;
2. Artigas and the department's agate and amethyst mines;
3. Canelones and the department's beaches and vineyards;
4. Colonia del Sacramento, as a UNESCO World Heritage Site;
5. Durazno and the department's peaches;
6. Trinidad and the department's cattle/sheep ranches, nature reserves and prehistoric rock art;
7. Punta del Este and the department's Casapueblo site, fishing and marble mines;
8. Paysandú and the department's brewery and world's best leather and wool products;
9. Rivera and the access to shopping in the Brazilian city of Santana do Livramento as well as the department's thermal spas;
10. Salto and the access to shopping in the Argentine city of Concordia.
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.