jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think packing your own bedsheets/bedspread for use at an hotel is going t

1. ComfortB profile image88
    ComfortBposted 6 years ago

Do you think packing your own bedsheets/bedspread for use at an hotel is going to far?

In the light of recent outbreak of bed bugs in hotels all over the US, this question comes to mind as I had to pack my own sheet for use on a recent trip to Chicago.

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image59
    Hestia DeVotoposted 6 years ago

Packing that much stuff sort of defeats the convenience of staying at a hotel.  And aren't you concerned that by bringing your own sheets, you then have more chances of picking up the bugs and literally carrying them home with you?

I'm lucky in that I've lived all over the US and when I travel, if I'm in a city, most often I can stay with someone I know instead of having to be in a hotel.

3. ThelmaC profile image97
    ThelmaCposted 6 years ago

I don't think bringing in your own linens will necessary eliminate the problem because the bedbugs are in the mattress.  Sounds like way too much trouble.

4. Phil Plasma profile image77
    Phil Plasmaposted 6 years ago

Bring a sleeping bag instead and sleep on the floor.

5. ptosis profile image81
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

Sheets get cleaned but the blanket and comforter do not. What you can do is request an extra sheet and put that sheet on top of the blanket to make a sheet blanket sheet sandwiches.

Bedbugs are awlfully big and if inspect the bed to make sure it's OK. I'd be more worred about fleas.

6. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 6 years ago

ComfortB, you are paying for the hotel, so I hope you don't go that far and feel the need to pack bedsheets and bedspreads.  One of the reasons why I travel and pay a little extra for hotel rooms is because traveling is a treat and I don't want to do anything extra.  I want to relax and have a good time.  If you made reservations at a nice hotel, don't feel like bedbugs are waiting for you.  Enjoy yourself!  But if you feel like bringing your own bedsheets and bedspreads, that's your call.  There is nothing like being on a journey and having a nice, clean bed waiting for you at the end of the day.

7. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think you have to be comfortable and if that makes it comfortable then you should do it.  But it would be easier to take a sleeping bag and on the way home, drop it off at the dry cleaners.

8. wytegarillaz profile image75
    wytegarillazposted 6 years ago

I would only take my own sheets if I was camping out or in a cabin , If  I pay more &  book a hotel room then I love their crisp white sheets on a freshly made bed !

9. lydocia profile image61
    lydociaposted 6 years ago

Absolutely not, for the sole reason that I am allergic to perfume and all products containing it, including the stuff bedsheets are washed with.

In the context of those bed bugs thing, I definitely don't think prevention is a bad measure.

10. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 6 years ago

Taking your own sheets will not stop bedbugs. Bed bugs can be in the carpet, walls, mattress, in the wood from the bed itself... However, do what makes you comfortable.

working