What are good beach vacation spots for collecting shells?

1. ktrapp profile image98
    ktrappposted 5 years ago

What are good beach vacation spots for collecting shells?

Every time we have gone on a vacation near the ocean I am disappointed in the lack of shells. Are there any beaches known for having lots of shells? Is there a best time of day to collect shells?

2. hush4444 profile image71
    hush4444posted 5 years ago

I live in Hawaii, and I've had a lot of luck finding shells at low tide or in tide pools.  We actually have tide schedules in our phone book, so it's easy to find out when the tide will be low.  The best beach I've found for collecting shells was Myrtle Beach in South Carolina - there were millions more shells than I've ever seen in Hawaii.

3. Billie Pagliolo profile image60
    Billie Paglioloposted 5 years ago

Very great question!  Since we moved to California from the midwest I was somewhat shocked to learn that each beach I visited - Newport Beach, Balboa Beach, Seal Beach, Laguna Beach, Crystal Cove, etc. is unique in almost every way - views, sounds of the water, sealife, rock formations AND shells. I can't find a sand dollar ANYWHERE in Southern CA, but my friend did early in the morning at Crystal Cove. There are signs regarding removing items from the beach, so that's also something to consider.  This would be a great hub!

working