jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What Are The Best Countries For Americans To Move To?

1. PhoenixV profile image79
    PhoenixVposted 4 years ago

What Are The Best Countries For Americans To Move To?

What are the best countries for Americans to move to and take up residence? Countries where there are other Americans and less of a cultural shock.

2. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7752504_f260.jpg

Canada would be the obvious choice. The "North of the 49th" would offer less cultural shock and there are quite a few Americans residing there.

3. Emanate Presence profile image77
    Emanate Presenceposted 4 years ago

Well, of course, the answer will be subjective. I am an American citizen and would have immigrated to New Zealand if there had been a choice. Could not meet the financial requirements. Now living in Germany. It is my wife's homeland. Not many Americans here and it is not my last stop.

There are distinctions between the cultures, different ways of doing things, but in my travels I have found that people are basically the same everywhere. Very similar underlying habits and behaviors. There are things I prefer about Germany and some I prefer about America (such as Whole Foods Markets!) I feel some frustration with not being able to receive packages from online orders of such things as herbal supplements. America supplements are verboten in Germany.

A British man in Spain said to me, "America is the greatest country in the world!" Having lived in America for more than fifty years, I have a different opinion. America may have the greatest military and economy, but it is not morally superior as I was taught, and its freedoms are over-rated. I have to say I enjoyed the diversity of America and the more open-minded approach. Travelling through America, I thought it could write the book on 'How to Trash a Country in 200 Years.' There are always pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages.

I can step out of the apartment here and walk to a choice of bakeries. Mineral water flows freely from brass spigots in the town center. Lots of bike and walking paths through parks. The river is running emerald green now, and white swans float on the water. We have just survived the grey winter and are starting to see sunshine again. The spring and summer promise to be gorgeous.

I also lived in the south of Spain for a year. Lots of northern Europeans there, and I got by with English easier than I can here. Did not feel much culture shock personally. It was beautiful for the time, in 2001, but much has changed. Not sure I would go back. I enjoy the Spanish language and culture. It helped that my wife is European. When my passport and laptop were stolen, I felt vulnerable with having no rights in the country and not able to communicate in the language. Still I have taken all my experience as learning.

What are you looking for?

4. hutchinsonm profile image40
    hutchinsonmposted 4 years ago

Hi PhoenixV,

There are a few answers that would easily answer this question for you but honestly it is subjective.  The answer would really be based on the reason you are looking to move.

Here are a few examples.

If you are looking to move so that you can experience a different culture then I would suggest Europe.  Look at England, Ireland, Scotland, or The Netherlands.  In these countries you will get the European experience but they speak english.  I lived in The Netherlands for 3 years and it was great.

If you are looking for a beach life experience where people speak english then I would choose either Australia or New Zealand.  Taking either of these routes is not cheap.  You should expect to pay close to if not more than what you pay currently in the U.S for all of your house hold type of expenses.

If you are looking to stay close to the U.S then Canada is the obvious choice.  The thing with Canada is, you will pay higher taxes.

If you are looking to live inexpensively then your best choice would be Costa Rica or Ecuador.  In either of these countries you can get your living expenses to around $1000 per month and that is including your house.  The only catch with either of these countries is that you will more that likely have to have a job were you telecommute 100% or a business of some kind.  It would be almost impossible for you to find a job locally.

If you are interested in Asia and looking to cut your expenses then Thailand, Malaysia, or Vietnam.  The are all very cheap and you could really live well on not alot of money.  You will run into the same thing as above though.  You will need a job that is 100% telecommute or your own business.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Matt

working