jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What should we consider when renting an apartment from mid-December to mid-March

1. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 3 years ago

What should we consider when renting an apartment from mid-December to mid-March in Southern Europe?

We are planning to spend winter in the southern part of Europe. Instead of staying in hotels, we would like to try staying in very comfortable apartments in the centre of the city. Has anyone done this? What things should we take into consideration?

2. Rod Marsden profile image73
    Rod Marsdenposted 3 years ago

Heating for a start. How is it heated? Where are the shops and local transport in relation to the apartment? What is the view like? If renting a car is there a place to park the car?

aesta1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Rod. I am sure parking is quite difficult.

3. GoodLady profile image93
    GoodLadyposted 3 years ago

The weather can get cold and extreme, even though there is a lot more sunshine through the winter.

Best to dress nicely, even casual clothes are stylish.  There are lots of street markets selling fashionable clothes, as well as finer boutiques and stores.

Have a PayPal account set up for paying accommodations bills.
    American Express is not available at all cash points these days.
    You don't need an agent to find your home, so you don't need to pay big deposits.  Internet sites such as www.aurbnb.com have a 100% transparency policy so setting up payment  and making inquiries before renting is quite normal.  Find out about parking, baby sitters, heating, bedding  etc .before you book.
    Make sure you have independent central heating (that isn't apartment -building centralised). 
    Get a European mobile phone to save international roaming rates.  Look into costs and rates before buying.

Check museums and church's opening hours since they are not always open; some close for the winter,  there is not a tourist culture for out of season.  Many tourist attractions can be closed.

Tipping is not a rigid 15%.  It's more like 10%.

Breakfast is not a big affair.  It's often just a good cup of coffee and something sweet. 
    Eating local is the best way to go.  Forget about how you ate back home! You can always buy things like dried fruit or fruit juices at the supermarket.

Keep your wallet close to your chest at railway stations and tourist places.
    Have your embassy number with you, just in case,
    Bring your internet codes with you.

There are tolls to pay on the freeways, so have small cash.

Have fun.  It'll be interesting since you stand a chance of getting the real feel of a city and country  out of season.

aesta1posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much GoodLady. I haven't used papal at all for accommodation and haven't yet checked aurbnb so these are new information that are going to be useful. I wonder if one can rent for this long in aurbnb. I need to check this out.

2. GoodLady profile image93
      GoodLadyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for voting my answer the best!
      You can rent with Airbnb for a month for short rentals.  Just make sure you have central heating!

working