jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Historical Tours and Docent Guides and Tipping

1. GmaGoldie profile image79
    GmaGoldieposted 6 years ago

Definition of DOCENT. 1: a college or university teacher or lecturer . 2: a person who leads guided tours especially through a museum or art gallery

Yesterday we attended a museum and were guided by a docent.  What is proper - should we have tipped the docent for the tour?  If so, what amount - 10% 20%???

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I'm a docent at a small history museum and have never gotten a tip. Never even thought of getting one-- we are all volunteers. Might depend on where you are.

3. fordie profile image75
    fordieposted 6 years ago

Seems your own judgment was that they deserved a tip.

Having lead tours I know that tips are appreciated - the amount need not be a percentage but should be somehow related to the experience. For a short trip around a museum enough for a coffee seems about right to me. Perhaps with extra for a doughnut if they were really good

1. Christy Goff profile image59
      Christy Goffposted 6 years agoin reply to this

In museum's, we usually leave donations, I don't think we tipped anyone.  You bring up a very good point, next time we go to a museum, I will need to re-think the way I do things.

1. fordie profile image75
        fordieposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's the feeling appreaciated that really counts. That said, we were pretty poorly paid and tips made a big difference to savings at the end of a season. Even if that's not so true of volunteers I'm sure it'll put a smile on a face

1. Christy Goff profile image59
          Christy Goffposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My husband read my answer, and informed me I was wrong, when we went to Indian City, we tipped our tour guide.

1. fordie profile image75
            fordieposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There you go. A tip and a donation. I bet you two are welcome back anytime

working