jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Does your dog hate cars as much as mine?

1. lindacee profile image94
    lindaceeposted 5 years ago

She literally screams at the top of her lungs when one drives by when we're out on our walks. She pulls on the leash and wants to chase them as well. She's seven years old and I've tried everything I can think of to get her to stop. Cesar Milan, where are you!?! I would also like to know if anyone else has had success breaking their dog of this type of bad behavior -- and how you did it.

2. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Courtesy bump. smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

my dog doesn't mind cars, but he really doesn't like scooters, those that kids innocently ride down the sidewalk right next to our fence.. he goes crazy.

1. lindacee profile image94
      lindaceeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Oh yeah, mine doesn't like the scooters either and sometimes not even bicycles.

4. caninecrtitics profile image64
    caninecrtiticsposted 5 years ago

My dog just hates skateboards he won't hurt the kid on it but just run up and take the board. lol

5. lindajot profile image82
    lindajotposted 5 years ago

We have neighboring dogs that randomly jump out and chase the car a couple times a month - they get so close, I'm terrified I'll run over them.  I'm always unprepared and it's so unnerving.  I'm guessing they must sneak out of the yard or something otherwise they'd be there everyday.  Need to leave a note on their mailbox - I never catch them at home.

6. 0
    Helpful Hannaposted 5 years ago

My dog freaks out over strange things and I can't seem to fix the behavior.  She is just crazy, but man do I love her!

7. LiorST profile image59
    LiorSTposted 5 years ago

As you can see by the amount of comments, this is actually quite common, and I would like to explain why:
    As a dog views a car driving by, making a noise that may be interpreted as aggression, it reacts by all those behaviors you are experiencing. This is common among easily-frightened dogs, as they tend to translate many things as aggression.
    Now why don't they just run?
    Well, the answer is very simple. In the mind of the dog, it encounters aggression by a car, barks and "screams" and showing aggression back, and succeeding in forcing the car out of it's territory!
    Of course the car is unknowingly losing to the dog every time, reenforcing the dog's bad behavior.

This can easily be solved by basic obedience.

As your dog is easily frightened by things, it is leaving in fear, and needs a confidence boost.
    Training simple discipline commands (sit, stay, heel) can be extremely useful in building up your dog's confidence.

- Well simply because you can order commands, enforce them, and make your dog gradually cope with incoming "threats", yet prevent it from presenting bad behavior, breaking the pattern, and teaching your dog that ignoring the "threat" will achieve the wanted result, and that it is also your preferred reaction!

Dog Training is all about being able to read signals and situations, much like with our human partners!

Merry Christmas Everyone!