how do I "straighten" a hankerchief hem?

I have a short "homecoming" dress that my daughter wore 4-5 years ago. Her cousin wants to wear it this year 2011. The hankerchief hem is no longer in style...how do I cut/hem the hankerchief hem so that it is straight across now?

placeholder text for bug in Chrome