Copyright Legal Information

1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 5 years ago

If I use a drawing of a 'copyrighted'  character (example - a drawing of Harry Potter) with the permission of the artist - do I need to worry about the copyright of J K Rowling? The art I intend to use is fan-art etc.

1. livewithrichard profile image86
      livewithrichardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Fan fiction and fan art ride on a slippery slope. Fair use regulations my protect some fan art or fan fiction and there may also be trademark as well as copyright issues to consider.  If your work is going to portray the original in a negative fashion then you open the door for the copyright holder to take action.  Rarely do they ever take action though because in many cases it brings more attention to the original.  If you do character 'assassination' like portraying Harry and his friend Ron in a gay orgy then the battle gloves will be on.  As a matter of fact, J.K. Rollings is notable for going after those that infringe on her characters in a negative way or ways that some how infer authority by the fan artist.

You should be safe as long as you make it clear that you are not the creator of the character, the art, or have any authority to portray the character.