jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

Need some help choosing a vehicle!!! Which you would recommend?

1. Beth100 profile image82
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

I'm at a lost.  I've narrowed it down to either:

2010/2011 Grand Caravan (Dodge)
    2010/2011 Town & Country (Chrysler)
    2011 Sienna (Toyota)
    2010/2011 Traverse (GMC)

based on use -- 7 passenger minimum, light towing and easy on the gas, V6 engine. 

I could use some opinions and your experience with the any one of these. 

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

ask earnest he is top gun on cars, knows them all very well.

2. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Beth, I would say, just for you...go with the Sienna(2011)

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Not much help, but..

We had a 1994 grand caravan - loved it.  I would not settle for the caravan; that "grand" adds considerable room inside.  We got 20 mpg, and could tow a 18' old and heavy camper from Florida to Vermont and everywhere in between.  Take seats out and it would carry more junk than my pickup, including 10' boards and full sheets of plywood.

My kids now have a Saturn minivan - piece of junk that's falling apart at 70,000 miles.

Isn't the town and country still just an expensive, more loaded caravan?

3. Beth100 profile image82

@ Wilderness -- I think you're right about the Town and Country.  I really can't figure out the difference between that and the Grand Caravan.  Thanks for your take on this. 

@ Dutchman -- I thought that Earnest might pop in...or even Misha.  But it is the weekend, or end of it.

4. 0
    3 Finger Readerposted 6 years ago

It might be a good idea to check the ratings of any of these models in consumer reports, whether it's consumer reports "used car guide" or "best new cars" guide.  They rate the fuel efficiency, safety features and reliability, as well as how often they need repair on brakes, transmission, etc.

5. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Toyota for sure smile

6. Beth100 profile image82

Thanks Cags and Misha.  One thing that has me swaying towards the Toyota is that they last forever!  I've owned the Caravan and after 200,000 km, they start to have a multitude of problems.  I'll go and test drive again this weekend.  smile  zoom zoom

@ Misha -- I like your photo.  You look great.  smile

7. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

I literally have the Consumer Reports New Car Preview 2011 right next to me. Go for the Chevy Traverse (GMC model is the Acadia), and keep a little swagger.  You don't want to go full mini do you?  The Traverse got 80 out of 88, and was also recommended by Consumer Reports(88 was the highest rated Mid Sized SUV received by Highlander on road test)  Sienna got an 80 out of 91 (91 highest on minivan road test.)  Odyssey got the 91, and was the only recommended Minivan by consumer reports.

8. Beth100 profile image82

@ ediggity -- seriously?!?  Wow, thanks for the report findings.  I've never read those reports before.  I really loved the Traverse when I drove it, but it consumes the gas.  I drive out to the country to the cottage on the weekends -- heavy on gas but great balance for the winter roads.  Plus, it climbs the steep hills without any problems.  And I love the 8 passenger seating!!

The minivans are great for the city, but chug-a-lug up the hills.  lol 

I am  really stuck.....  either the Traverse or the Sienna. 

Ohhh, decisions, decisions!!!

Thanks ediggity, I'm going to check out the info you've given me.  smile

1. ediggity profile image59
      ediggityposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, traverse gets a 17 city/24 Highway on gas 22 gallon tank (374 total miles city/528 total miles highway), and Sienna gets an 19 city/ 24 Highway 20 gallon tank (380 total miles city/480 total miles Highway.)  It would roughly be a difference of $3-$6 at the pump every time you filled up if you went with the Traverse.

Oh yeah, you can use this to compare vehicles as well:

http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/comparat … Type=model

9. Beth100 profile image82

This is great Ediggity!!!  Thanks for the link and the info.

I'm going to rethink about how I will be using this vehicle.  This is really what my decision rides on now (no pun intended)  lol

Thanks for all your help!!  smile

10. testboss profile image60
    testbossposted 6 years ago

wow a vehicle can be this smart.