jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Neube Panda/Penguin question

1. 0
    WhydThatHappenposted 4 years ago

I know there was a big hubbub about panda and penguin annihilating traffic for previous successes. Can someone give us some numbers on the drops in traffic they saw from the updates? I'm just curious how big of a chunk of traffic it took away, and if that traffic is slowly but steadily coming back or what- I want to see what I can learn about successful seo from your examples, thanks.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Experience varies from site to site, because the Panda algorithm assigns a score to the whole site - the worse your score, the greater the loss of traffic will be. 

There's a good explanation in the "How Panda Works" box in this Hub:

http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/googl … ounce-rate

In the worst case, traffic might disappear altogether. A more common experience seems to be a drop of 75% to 90%.

2. 4wardthinker profile image87
      4wardthinkerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure how the Panda and Penguin algorithm works, but I did notice I had little to no traffic last month. This last week is significantly better. I hope it continues to be better for everyone

2. 0
    WhydThatHappenposted 4 years ago

Wow, 75-90% seems a bit drastic. Is that traffic coming back for you, without any changes? Since so many people and sites have been hit, I'm wondering if google "reset the counter," so to speak. Or if all these different sites and people really had content "that bad."

What's your take on that?

3. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

I don't think it's so much about 'content' as it is more about 'links' and/or methods of achieving them. Least, that's part of the algo info mentioned hmm if we are linked to a another site that gets 'dinged' they will fall taking us along with them. jmo on the subject and no expert smile

1. Peggy W profile image91
      Peggy Wposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If that is true, it would seem that linking is not always the smartest thing to do.  Hard to know what to do!

4. Dorian Bodnariuc profile image86
    Dorian Bodnariucposted 4 years ago

I lost 70 to 80 percent of the traffic on my websites on the Penguin update. This was never recovered even though I tried a few things. And, I think as Dame Scribe says, that is more of the links that are pointing to your site than content. And believe me this update was done to punish link builders and not to reward better content. After the April 24th update the search results got poorer than before but Google wouldn't fix it.

1. 0
      WhydThatHappenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If it is about the links pointing to your site, then it seems that seo just became about building bad links to your competitors, crazy! There's no way that can stay in the algorithm if that is indeed the case.

1. Dorian Bodnariuc profile image86
        Dorian Bodnariucposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yet it's been two months and they didn't change it.... It looks like bigger sites like Hubpages, Squidoo, don't have the same problem.
        If this doesn't change in a month or two I consider moving all my content over to hubpages. This way all my work is not hidden and gets dusty in a corner of the WEB.