In my previous life I was a beta tester, so of course I had to create a Hub with an iPad the INSTANT you got the text capsule working at all.
MickiS asked me to pass on the bugs I discovered while creating a hub from start to finish on the iPad yesterday:
(1) The iPad's Copy / Paste function doesn't work in the text capsule (although it works in others). One can select a chunk of text and CUT it, but not PASTE it somewhere else. Nor can one compose text in another app, copy it, and paste it into the Text Capsule's edit window.
(2) The link button is a little balky. There's no way to copy a URL from elsewhere to paste it into the URL box because of (1). Also, while I was able to type the link in manually, something odd happened: it added the link on a different word than the words I'd selected. (I selected the phrase "not on iPad" and the link was instead added to the first instance of the word "not" in the capsule, farther up.)
(3) If one selects a word in the first line of the Text Capsule, the iPad's annoying "Select All | Cut | Copy | Paste" popup covers the formatting toolbar so one can't add bold, italics, links, etc. I tried dragging the editing box around to get the toolbar visible, but the selection popup moved, too, maintaining its relative position over the formatting toolbar.
(4) I tried clicking on the raw HTML code button to enter type a link manually, and the raw HTML editor wouldn't give me an insertion point. (I told you I was a beta tester.)
(5) The token Mysteriously Appearing and Disappearing Display Bug: sometimes, when I'd edit a Text Capsule I'd saved, put the insertion point somewhere in the text, and typed a comma or punctuation mark, I got a fraction like 1/2 (I think?) instead. Deleting the fancy mathematical character, toggling the alternate keyboard on and off, and typing again fixed it.
Things that ARE working in the Text Capsule: bold, italic, headings, bullets, and other basic writing stuff. Hooray!
While the "upload" function isn't yet working due to Flash incompatibility, I discovered a workaround. I used an FTP app to upload an image to my own website, tried the "import" function of the Photo capsule, and that worked! Images imported into a hub. Houston, we are ready for liftoff.
All "rearranging items" tools -- the order of capsules in the sidebar, the Link capsule, the Amazon capsule -- don't work; drag-and-drop won't.
However, clicking the up/down buttons on the header bars of individual capsules caused them to move up and down as expected, so one can rearrange that way. (For Link lists and Amazon items, one can delete items and reenter them in the right order, if one's feeling masochistic.)
Minor aesthetics bug:
Sometimes the capsule editors opened up in zoomed mode, where the width of the text area expanded to fit the width of the screen. Problem: instead of boosting the font's display size, it just doubled the pixels, producing the "blurry magnification" effect. (Probably a built-in issue with iPad that you guys have no control over, but I mention it just in case there's a simple fix). Pinching to shrink the text back down to display size fixed it.
The video capsule works.
However, I decided to be crazy and click the "Convert to video" button. Of course that didn't work; HP's built-in video uploader needs flash.
Things that DID work:
-- the Maps capsule
-- the Amazon capsule (I was able to copy ASIN numbers from Amazon opened in a second tab and paste them in; copy and paste seems to work on all capsules EXCEPT the text capsule)
-- the Link capsule
...and that's as far as I got. So far, so good. Thanks, guys, for getting the basics working. We can already do most of what we need, so the rest is just fine-tuning!
I'm now able to work on Hubpages in my patio garden or while I'm off sightseeing. Hubpages, the new virtual travel diary?
This is excellent information. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I will try and help spread the word.
This is great info.
There are some small feature suggestions that are being discussed in the suggest features forum.
The site was never designed to work with iOS specifically.
I am moving this thread to suggestions.
Matthew: I originally posted about this is the suggestions forum where you're moving it, but your staff member there asked me to post a report of all this in the Technical forum, instead!
i wouldn't have spent all the time to write up this bug report if she hadn't asked me to do so.
Sorry for not communicating with you, Matthew. Many of the issues that GreekGeek reported here are bugs. Although Hub Creation is not officially supported on iOS, many of these things can be fixed.
The Links Capsule and where we use flash for Photo Upload and Video, are limitations of no Flash on iOS.
Btw, copy/paste in the text capsule works now. Just fixed yesterday.
by Cameron Corniuk9 years ago
I have relatively simple question.I was preparing a new blog and wanted to add some links into the main article. I tried using simple HTML <a href="url>name</a> to add the links, but then the code...
by Agnes Elmira Kepler22 months ago
Hi friends.this is my first time reaching out to the community for help. I just graduated form Writer's Boot Camp and need to finish 5 more hubs before applying for the earning programs. But this is not the subject of...
by Jason Menayan5 years ago
The new Text Capsule has been well received and we believe we've fixed all outstanding bugs (thank you, by the way, for those who gave us feedback).We'd like to retire the old Text Capsule in the coming weeks, so please...
by Susie Lehto23 months ago
"Techo" Matt,This has been happening for some time on all of my hubs.When I open a Text Capsule and copy and paste content in, it does not show the text until I hit Save. EXAMPLE:I published...
by Shauna L Bowling2 years ago
Is it possible to add a feature to links within text and to the photos to opt to have the link open in a new window? This would allow the reader to stay on the original page. Bounce rates rise every time someone leaves...
by Raye2 years ago
I've just started going through the first lenses that got ported over as Hubs and here're a few things you can expect when you start reviewing your imported content.First of all, my lenses are still all showing on my...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.