jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

HP limits searches to 1000

1. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 4 years ago

somehow hadn't noticed before that searches are limited to 1000 results, but no indication to the user how many there really are.  likely this is an efficiency solution for HP, but it means searches are handicapped and the user has no way of knowing what's missing.

there's also no way for an author to know if a particular hub is searchable [other than lookig at all 1000 returned] or why their hub is not showing up

shouldn't there be a way to let users know more about their searches without forcing them to look only at what HP deems best?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Where did you learn about this, and exactly what searches are you talking about?

cascolyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

i'm talking about ordinary searches from the hubpages search box - enter a  general word like 'recipes', then click on scope your search, choosing 'hubs' - you get precisely 1000 results;  enter 'recipe' you get another 1000, though not exactly the same.  enter 'recipe chicken' you still get 1000, so either there are only chicken recipes on HP or the results are being cut off.  do a similar search on any search engine like google and it will show you the first xxx AND the total number returned so users have an idea of how much they need to refine their search.

2. kathleenkat profile image90
    kathleenkatposted 3 years ago

Did you count all the results or something?

Whose willing to read through 1000+ results to find your Hub? Most people would probably chose one from the first 5 or so, I would think.

It probably has to do with some search engine limit thing, but I'm not a web guru, so who knows?

no - i was pointing out the absurdity - if there are 1000 results for 'chicken recipe', then when 'recipe' also shows 1000, there are either no non-chicken recipes, or the search was artificially halted

point is, HP is arbitrarily eliminating many of our hubs from ever being found - based on ther concept of what is 'relevant'

3. kathleenkat profile image90
    kathleenkatposted 3 years ago

If the search engine happens to pick up something on page 1003, I'd be surprised if someone would scroll down that far. Perhaps they are doing it not to overload or spam the search engines?

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago

I have very rarely used the search on HubPages to look up anything. It's more important the search engines find it than people searching on Hubpages.

very true, but still annoying -- especially when the first dozen search results are for pages that are obviously stolen from other sites. [i flagged some of these, but the author has 20+ hubs and the first 5 all had copied  text and pictures copied from other, different sites!]

1. kathleenkat profile image90
        kathleenkatposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's okay to use photos from sources other than yourself if you provide the correct sources/credit to them.

And how do you know they were copied? How do you know the other sites didn't just copy these Hubs? Also, if you really are looking up chicken recipes, I'll tell you that many of them probably have the same cooking times and temperatures, as that is what's required to fully cook chicken... Baked chicken recipes won't differ much, asides from the spices you put on 'em.

5. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 3 years ago

first, these sites had absolutely NO sources or credits.  Even with creidts, the source needs to allow such use -- you can't just grab a photographer's work for your site even if you credit them.

very simple -- just copy the text and search for it in google - in these cases i came up with multiple sites using these recipes, many older than the hubs in question. 

quite true, but this guy made no attempt to change the wording, specific references such as "I prefer Uncle Ben's rice", etc

other non-cooking hubs were complete ripoffs of  title and pictures

1. kathleenkat profile image90
      kathleenkatposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Okay...well there are websties, such as DeviantArt, for example, where you can put up images for people to use under Creative Commons. The only guideline to that you credit the artist and source when used commercially (and it doesn't matter if you download it and print it out to hang on your wall at home or anything).

Still confused why this would be such a huge deal, and worth Google searching for duplicated content for. 1000 results is very generous, and you can probably get a lot more by specifically searching, on Google, for "chicken recipes site:hubpages.com"  Then you can go to page 1001 and see what's there.