I need help with my hub!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. LisaMarie724 profile image69
    LisaMarie724posted 11 years ago

The hub I need help with is ironically about SEO.  It was on the first page of Google for a long time after I wrote it, but now it is nowhere to be found.  It doesn't get traffic any longer either.  Would anyone be willing to take a look at it and suggest ideas that might help it rank better and get more traffic?  Here is the link: http://lisamarie724.hubpages.com/hub/Be … o-Keywords

1. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey LisaMarie724!
      If you'd like to audit your Hub independently, I recommend using the following Learning Center guides as checklists:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/How- … ndly-Title

2. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 11 years ago

Most of the suggestions I would provide would be contained in the link to the two learning guides that Simone left you a link for. But here are a few observations:

Your hub is on the shorter side, so adding more content can be helpful.

A variety of different types of capsules could help. You have a poll already which is good, but maybe adding a video (or even videos) on SEO would be a good fit for that type of hub.

Also I know that SEO would be a tough subject to find photos for (which is an area I sometimes struggle with for certain subjects) but more photos could be helpful. Also it is a good idea to make sure that the photo is properly attributed. You also might consider giving a subtitle and a caption for your photo as well.

I am not necessary an expert so do what you want with the tips. But hopefully you find the following observations helpful.

3. LauraD093 profile image70
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

The links provided by Simone are excellent (I've referenced them so often I should have them memorized.) I also agree that a video insert may prove helpful some people just prefer visual tools to help reinforce what they are trying to learn.

4. Silva Hayes profile image76
    Silva Hayesposted 11 years ago

Hi, LisaMarie!  I read your article and found it informative; perhaps a bit too short.  One basic suggestion I have is to show what the letters actually stand for.  In the first sentence, spell it out, then show the letters SEO in parenthesis and then each subsequent mention just use the letters.  That's all I have.  I am going to check all my hubs and implement your suggestions.  I never thought of repeating keywords in my last sentence.  Thank you.

5. nikhilchandra profile image78
    nikhilchandraposted 11 years ago

My dear my dear you are so mistaken...There is no SEO keywords there is keyword and there is Search Engine Optimization.

You are mistaken when you say that when you type “how to grow pink and blue tulips”, into whatever search engine you happened to be using. That search engine like Google for example, would search for articles on the web that contained those exact keywords. Those articles would show up on the first page of Google’s results."

This is absolutely not true. SERP doesn't work this way.

There is that Title tag and HTML Tag and then there is how you use images, alt, caption and description and very importantly URL (always use custom URL to build your own in Hubpages and remove any adverb and preposition e.g. in, and, for, what, of, is). When Google show a result, it considers many factors which include but is not limited to title, H1 tag, keyword density, keyword proximity and LSI. But above all it’s about original, relevant and share worthy content that is people want to link to your post when they are writing about the topic you've written about.

Keywords and “key phrases” are important in your first paragraph ideally they should appear in the beginning and before 160 characters because that is what Google treat as meta description for long tail keywords and mostly for Hubpages meta description snippet.

And Meta tag Keyword is worthless and inadvertently used to let your competitor know the keyword you are targeting your page with. I'd personally recommend not using Meta description tag or just use H1 and Homepage H1 for Meta keyword...2 is more than enough.

And captions, title and description is really very very important. Use them generously...longer the better. A trick to optimize your image is to name them as you will your ALT tag. Never name an image like img1.jpg if the picture represents Taj Mahal instead name it as taj-mahal.jpg

You see all in small letter or no space. It's good from SEO point of view.
    Ah I see I have gotten carried away.
    But I do find SEO interesting :-)

6. kschang profile image85
    kschangposted 11 years ago

SEO *was* real when search engines can be "tricked". In other words, SEO is a way to make an article to appear MORE relevant than it actually is to the search engines. As search engines got more sophisticated, SEO is no longer relevant.

Let's put it this way... would Dilbert feature SEO if it wasn't a joke already?

http://www.dilbert.com/2013-02-05/

1. spartucusjones profile image91
      spartucusjonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not entirety true. The nature of SEO has changed and you can no longer get away with tricks to fool Google. But search friendly titles and naturally using keywords still help with search engines, along with organic back links and social networking.  SEO just means that a article is written in a way that it would do well with search engines. For example just simply writing quality content (such as stellar hubs) is a form of SEO.

7. LisaMarie724 profile image69
    LisaMarie724posted 11 years ago

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions.  I do realize that Google has changed a lot since I published this hub, which I didn't take into consideration when wondering why it wasn't doing well.  I will be updating it and changing it.  Thanks guys smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)