It would be a good idea for HP staff to...

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)
  1. theraggededge profile image98
    theraggededgeposted 11 years ago

...email every hubber with a link to the forum thread: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/111298

There are thousands and thousands of hubs being duplicated or simply having the intros posted. All articles are carrying adsense. This is affecting everyone on HP, including the staffers and their hubs.

Not really understanding why HP is not being pro-active about this issue. This guy is stealing our work, our traffic and our adsense revenue.

1. Judi Bee profile image90
      Judi Beeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't understand why HP isn't flashing red and sounding an alarm! 

There are thousands of pages of hubs on his sites - 1,800 + on his food site, more than 1,400 on his home site - and those aren't his only sites.  He is adding content today. 

You and I have had dozens of hubs ripped off - we haven't been targeted, we've just looked - there must be hundreds, if not thousands of other hubbers affected.

1. Jenn-Anne profile image73
        Jenn-Anneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. I don't have many hubs and even fewer that are featured (haven't had time to write although I was hoping to get back to it soon) and if my hubs were stolen then it really, truly can happen to ANYONE - not just high-volume, high-traffic authors. I'm going to try to post about this in my feed to try to alert my followers.

2. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The not-so-fun answer is that this happens pretty frequently, and if we were to try to warn everyone about every potential instance of their work being stolen, we would be sending out constant alarms (and to people who are not likely to be affected, in many cases).
      What we probably should work on is more education on what Hubbers should proactively do to monitor and protect their own work. We could definitely provide more on that front.

1. Judi Bee profile image90

I don't agree that this happens pretty frequently - not on this scale. 

The guy has 14 sites, each with thousands of pages of scraped hubs.  He has 51 of mine from this account, some more from my other account.  I've had the odd hub copied fairly frequently, but never half my subdomain.  I'm not alone - others are reporting filing dozens of DMCAs.  I've searched for quite a few friends and followers' hubs and I've yet to come up with a blank. 

Surely, when there's such a widespread scraping of the site you could sticky an alert or something?

2. TheKatsMeow profile image87
        TheKatsMeowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Simone your stuff is on there too! sad

2. theraggededge profile image98
    theraggededgeposted 11 years ago

Have trawled through Squidoo forum - there's no search, argh!

http://hq.squidoo.com/forums/topic/squi … ng-copied/

http://hq.squidoo.com/forums/topic/squi … ed/page/8/  Admin responds

http://hq.squidoo.com/forums/topic/Call … re-Are-You   Admin responds saying ** they are filing DMCAs** but can't talk about it on public forums.

I couldn't actually check any of the sites for my stuff as I kept being redirected away. The thief was eventually traced to China. A lot of lensmasters contacted Amazon, Google Adsense, filed DMCAs, made complaints to the hosting company and the URL registrars.

This guy is copying Amazon capsules from HP too and redirecting them to his own account. Perhaps, Simone, or someone from HQ could contact Amazon and Adsense?

1. TheKatsMeow profile image87

it seems that squidoo took care of all of their copied content.

1. theraggededge profile image98
        theraggededgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They did in that case, although they obviously won't in the event of an individual's lens or lenses. They acted pretty quickly too.

Simone keeps saying that they cannot file DMCAs on our behalf but that's not what we're asking for. We'll do the DMCAs - those of us who actually read the forums anyway. What HP should be doing is making a phone call to their lawyer for advice on getting the whole load of sites taken down for illegally ripping off Hubpages itself. If Squidoo can do it, then so can HP.

HP could even contact Tom Maybrier at Squidoo for advice. I bet he would be happy to help, as so many writers work on both platforms.

HP might also contact Adsense and Amazon to report his illegal activity. They'd close his accounts, pronto.

One other thing they could do is contact the hosting site and the registrar. The information has been provided on these threads. Webhosts don't take kindly to their servers being used for nefarious gains.

For pity's sakes just do something, HP.

1. TheKatsMeow profile image87

I have the day off from work today and had planned to write some hubs, it's pretty hard to get motivated when something like this is happening sad very upsetting.

2. Judi Bee profile image90

We are, I believe, spitting in the wind on this one.  It is beyond the wit of man to sort this out other than through the individual DMCA route - Squidoo must have employed a wizard to sort it out or something.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)