Is it me or is hubpages going down the tubes?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (101 posts)
  1. AndrewHil93 profile image39
    AndrewHil93posted 8 years ago

I'm not being funny here,the hubstats yet only change 3 or 4 times a week, if you are lucky.

Not to mention hubs take over 24 hours to publish.

No mentions about it on the blog, no apologies, it isn't like the issue hasn't been ongoing for a while now...

Anybody have any idea? Hope I've missed something like we are going through major updates or something which would explain all of the issues and it isn't just a case of hubpages staff don't know how to resolve the technical issues.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image90
      Jayne Lancerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are a couple of threads about stats not being updated regularly, and then not being accurate when they are updated. Here's one of them: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/131007

Looking at my traffic on GA and considering the team's silence, I, too, have a strong feeling that HubPages is going down the tubes.

AndrewHil93posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they're going under.... Bankruptcy often causes business owners to keep their service users and customers in the dark...

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There is another thread going right now about the same subject, It was started 2 years ago. In other words, everyone freaks when traffic is down. We are getting into the summer months and traffic is always down then. Hubpages is not doing as good as it once was though.

3. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Did you do any research about HubPages before you joined?  Did you look up their traffic and business history?  Have you read any of the FAQ or Learning Center?

You seem to be primarily creating the sort of content Google is actually punishing the site for having, so that may be shaping a lot of your experience here.  Hubs on making $100 per day online, spinning eBay profits and stuff on Herbalife sales schemes all are viewed by Google as "thin" which is their way of saying "highly undesirable and akin to spam."

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In my experience, writing about stuff that isn't written about is a good way to go. I wrote about a business being a scam, that did well. I put up my own fusion recipes and my own crafts. All of these do OK (just in small amounts). Definitely mentioning keywords that everyone on the net is after is not the way to go about things. Half my ideas came from doing a Google search where nothing much came up. So I figured it out and wrote about it.

2. AndrewHil93 profile image39

Relache, did you bother to read any of my hubs before condemning my work as undesirable spam?

Maybe if you had the integrity to open your eyes and read before jumping on my back, you'd have perhaps come to the conclusion that if the hubs I've posted were against the rules they wouldn't be A) Featured and B) they wouldn't have passed QAP. Although, some which haven't been updated are now unfeatured, the hubs you are talking about are still featured.

So, let's just jump on a couple of my hubs. $100 dollars a day on hubpages, that is a target many hubpages users aim for, so why would this title not be allowed? It is my advise on how to reach $100 a day on hubpages so... explain further please?

In regards to the eBay article, there is an ENTIRE category for hubs on buying and selling online so... let's not even go there.

And in regards to the Herbalife article, had you bothered to read it, there's no multi-level marketing going on in that hub. The only thing that hub is designed for, and Hubpages agree else they wouldn't have published it the second time after it failed QAP the first time for being more MLM directed, the only thing the hub is designed for is to show the benefits of the Herbalife diet, what it does on a micronutritional level but... had you bothered to read it before criticising it, you'd have known.

The saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover" springs to mind, but you've not even looked at the cover, just the title... logical.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend you, just merely explaining the specific hubs you accused me of being a spammer for.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
          kenneth averyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@ AndrewHil93: would you email me at my Yahoo email email address at:
          gnxy21o@yahoo.com for I have a question that only you can answer and this is a serious question. NO strings or jokes.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ken, for your own safety can I suggest you edit your post to remove your email address?   Assuming you have your profile set up properly, he can send you a message through the HubPages message system.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 8 years agoin reply to this

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/7565941.jpg

YeeHaaa!       I Totally Agree with that set of questions so subtly laid on the forum table!
        I kinda viewed the OPs remarks more like the image above though R   sad

1. colorfulone profile image77
          colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12468488_f248.jpg

Oh, to be a fly on the wall!

4. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not only at hubpages, almost every writing sites have bad traffic

1. bgamall profile image70
        bgamallposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What does anyone expect? The middle class cannot compete with the people who control the internet. You have to be an insider to get traffic. Business Insider has given me thousands of page views in days, until the banksters decided I was writing uncomfortable things and my services were no longer needed. But the websites that are favored are favored for a reason and it has nothing to do with SEO. It has to do with being favored on Yahoo, or being favored in carrying Reuters articles,etc. SEO and keywords have nothing to do with the popularity of these websites.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It is reported that one of the most recent Google algorithm updates has given a priority to news sites:
          http://searchengineland.com/report-last … tes-223717

5. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Christin.  Start you own website.  If you are frustrated, empower yourself, and never put all your eggs in one basket!  When I wrote for eHow they started doing a lot of the things I see happening here.  The writers were frustrated, as we were kept in the dark about what they were doing and why they started taking days to publish our work, etc.

What finally happened was they were closing down the writers compensation program. Many writers were asked to sell they work to Ehow and received a nice sized check equal to a year and a half what we would have earned. I was making $600 at the time.  I was one of the  fortunate writers that received a check. They were very fair compensation. I still have a copy of the check!

eHow is still going strong, but now hire the writers they want and closely control the content.  Many writers were making thousands of dollars at eHow. (yes, some people were prolific writers and had one and two thousand articles)

They thought there were going to use eHow for their retirement plan, because how they wrote the writers agreement was you would earn from your articles, 'for life'. Boy were they upset, depressed and dejected when the writing program closed.

I came to HP before eHow close the writing program and wrote articles on the same topics that earned well there.  A few years ago, It started getting that same-old feel like when I was at eHow. 

I didn't wait for the other shoe to drop, but took about 40 highest paying hub  purchased hosting and created my own sites.  I am now earning enough to pay all my bills.  I write full-time and don't have an outside job.  We are writers, so write!  You don't need a platform to write, create your own.

I have learned if a hub performs well on eHow, or HP, it will also do well on your own site; and the plus is you don't have to split the Adsense earnings!   Always, always have a back-up plan.  Nothing is forever!

1. simplehappylife profile image68
        simplehappylifeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

EXCELLENT comment and advice!

Thank You for taking the time to write your experience smile

6. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I made a new forum thread with related updates.
      You can find it here.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2742823

They've FINALLY started pending!

7. skear profile image93
      skearposted 8 years agoin reply to this

One way to solve these problems that are bothering you is to start your own website and publish your own articles there.

Articles I write for my own website are published instantly and Google Adsense is rarely behind on reporting clicks.

It's not that difficult to start a Wordpress Blog and start posting content.

1. 2besure profile image80
        2besureposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is what I did.  I have four blogs,  Together I make about $1,200 to 1,400 a month or more a month.  Summer seems to be my highest paying months.  My latest blog I launched in April,  I have earned $21.73 so far this month.  I have about 136 hubs and only made $12 this month.  Do the math.  If you choose the right niche, it can be very profitable.  It is very easy to start your own blog get hosting, do you keyword research purchase a domain name and get to work.  My most profitable blog is about three years old.  You have nothing to lose and you  will learn so much in the process.  Experiment, see what's out there, she what you're good at.  Don't be afraid, be proactive!

2. LindaSmith1 profile image62
    LindaSmith1posted 8 years ago

I left at the end of last year after 3 years.  From Jan to today, I have made more sales,, on my own,  from Amazon than in the past 3 years on HP.  My traffic for my sites, avg 150 or more a day, with days being over 400 visits and these are new sites.

I've been considering setting up my own domain and migrating my hubs over too. I mean, using WordPress you can basically create your own hubpages haha for 100% adsense commission rather than the 60% hubpages award.

1. Solaras profile image94
        Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have my own site and HP on the same basic subject. They have approximately the same number of articles and very similar weekly page views.  I earn more from the HP program than I do from Adsense on my own site. When I choose to, I earn more from Amazon on my site than here.

I like HubPages very much, and I think it adds to my overall web strategy.  I have a second account here that I play around with to see how some topics will do.  I don't want to create a new website with a measly 4-5 articles on a subject.  That would be pointless. Here I can have a broad account and see what topics I am getting views on, and write more in that vein if it is successful.

My views here continue to grow month after month, although CPM keeps shrinking, so my pay remains the same.  That's is discouraging to new writing, but that is also my personal problem.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image62
        LindaSmith1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I don't use WP.  That one drives me nuts.  I use Weebly and blogger for 2, which will change to Weebly maybe. Traffic is not good on blogger but I still get sales.

I don't rewrite, rewrite, rewrite.  I have more than 1 or 2 products.  I am using same content. I get more Google traffic than I ever did here,or on any content farm.

3. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 8 years ago

I've been coming to these forums for over three years, and in that time there has always been posts about how HubPages is doomed, doomed, doomed.

Only HP Staff knows what's going on with the stats, and for whatever reason they aren't talking. But I do know that HP is still here, and while my traffic has dipped over the past several months it is still pretty good, as are the earnings that go with it.

I do think management has made some strange and destructive decisions over the past year. I hope they get their act together, and I have confidence they will. But even as things stand this is still a powerful site where you can succeed if you are willing to put in the work.

Nobody knows what the future brings or how long HP will be here. I don't think there is any reason to abandon ship just yet, though.

1. ChristinS profile image40
      ChristinSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree with this.  Every other forum post always declares the sky is falling and yet it hasn't come to pass.  As for hubs taking over 24 hours; I can't speak to that as it has never happened to me and I published a new one just yesterday.  It took maybe six hours.  Even if it did take 24, I have no problem with that if it keeps quality in check.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
        Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We do state in the FAQ that QAP and review for moderated Hubs usually takes 24 hours, but it can take longer in periods if high Hub publication or over weekend, holidays, etc.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image62

Squids on Squidoo refused to believe that the sky was falling too!  Others saw the light and left.  Look what happened to Squidoo.

Yes, I'm well aware of what happened to Squidoo and many of the others.  I look at it the other way.  This site is still standing after the collapse of the other giants. The owners have a real interest in trying to keep it successful despite the body blows they've taken from Google and have made great efforts, with very little information on what exactly Google expects, to improve this site and bring it back up. 

I appreciate those efforts.  Do I agree with everything they've implemented? No.  However this is not my site, I don't run it and I understand they are doing what they need to do to stay profitable.  If they aren't profitable, our hubs won't be either. I try to keep an open mind.  I am also smart enough that I don't have all my "eggs in one basket" as the old saying goes.  Should this site ever fold, I am prepared with backups of my material and the skills to create and manage my own sites (which I also already do)

Any online writer who chooses to place content on sites they don't control has to be willing to make some concessions and should also learn the skills necessary to move on if necessary.  It does no good to constantly complain.  Empower yourself and DO something different if you are that scared and/or displeased.

1. profile image0
        Snakesmumposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with this.   Have started my own website, although currently I prefer to be here on HP, but there are alternatives if required.   

Backup everything!    :-)

5. LindaSmith1 profile image62

OH,I did.  Handwriting is on the wall, has been, just has gotten worse.  I get more traffic, more sales on my own sites.  In fact, more sales this year so far, than in past 3 years playing with HP and other content farms.  No playing with stats. know what my earnings are for sure.  If something does not work right I call my host, or do live chat with them, get answer or they go into my account right then and there, find out problem, fix it and that is it.  Sure is better than here!!

My other sites perform better too, but I use HP as one part of what I do. I don't feel the need to poison the well here when things aren't going how I like.  I post one post, or perhaps send an email,  explaining succinctly, but politely, what I am having a problem with and then go on and do other things that are more productive.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image62

Has HP ever announced how they are handling the Amazon coding change????  By August, affiliates won't get credit for sales from products with old code.

7. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

Linda, that would make a great new post actually. Maybe start a new thread so hopefully staff will see and address it?  If they address it here, most people won't see it because this thread is unrelated.

8. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

What, Linda?  I haven't read anything about that.
    It would be worth starting a new thread.

9. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

I confess to being Ostrich-like.  Even when these issues are mentioned, my head goes in the sand.  I just don't want to hear it.  Thinking of HP going under is a very depressing thought for me.   I'm not at all fond of "the sky is falling" rhetoric.....nor alarmists who highlight the negative.  Panic begins and it's never a good thing.
    Having said all of this however, I pride myself on being a realist and facing the warning signs of an impending tsunami.  Better to be forewarned and forearmed I'm sure.  The most helpless feeling is that we are guessing, assuming, suspecting and wondering.....quite clearly we don't really KNOW what we'd like to know.
    One thing I feel certain of is that HP is in NO WAY like Squidoo was or Bubblews (Scam).   There are those hubbers who utilize several other online websites to make their money, writing as their career (bread & butter) and even they will praise HP as being one of the BEST.(for various reasons).

No matter why we write, whatever we do or where ever we do it, I believe most can agree it is most important to love it and be happy.  When push comes to shove, we can all take care of No. One....because we have to.  Nothing is perfect and there are no free rides.

10. Colin Quartermain profile image90
    Colin Quartermainposted 8 years ago

Writing sites come and go - is Hubpages going to last forever? doubtful.

Hubpages offer a platform to write on, and people invest their time and skill, and get some financial reward for it. I would presume most people writing on her also invest their time and skill on other sites, be it their own, someone else's, or as a freelance.

If you are convinced that any site is going to go belly up imminently, you take your investment of time and skill, and put it somewhere else.

If you think there is life in the site, be it medium to long term, you are likely to keep investing your time and skill in it.

Each writer can make their own choice after all.

(in response to the OP - none of my hubs have ever taken 24 hours to be published, most are done within 3 hours, and whilst stats are nice, GA offers far more info, and so all I need from Hubpages figures are a daily update on earnings)

11. BillAlvarez profile image84
    BillAlvarezposted 8 years ago

I've been on here for a year, and I've concluded HP is not going to be the main outlet for my online writing anymore. The seemingly endless problems with stats and hubs, inexplicable fluctuations in traffic, working for a year to just make $50...it's too much. I've been quietly and gradually deleting some of my articles on HP and moving them to my personal blogs, where they seem to get 2 to 5 times more traffic. The real crap articles I may just leave on HP to collect a few cents here and there, I guess. Maybe in 7 years I can cash out again, lol. But I stopped writing new hubs months ago and have been focusing on creating content for my sites instead. Lesson learned.

12. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

I dropped a note to Google to be nicer to HubPages. Problem solved.

Is that all we had to do this whole time? Geez, why didn't I think of that.  Thanks Paradigm, we can all carry on and sit and wait for the big bucks to roll in now smile.

1. paradigm search profile image54
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am here to serve.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Forum King, May you ever be re-elected.

Thanks! So far there has surprisingly been only one regicide attempt.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
              Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years agoin reply to this

May you be further blessed and enchanted.

13. paradigm search profile image54

Things are looking up, "US retail sales surge in May" http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/br … 7393882062

14. LindaSmith1 profile image62

colorfulone: I sent a msg to you about Amazon changes.

15. Alphadogg16 profile image85
    Alphadogg16posted 8 years ago

I am in total agreement with Relache, I have always been under the impression that the main objective of Hubpages is to produce quality articles/writing. Don't think how many sales you make are on the top of their priority list.

1. TheDragonBringer profile image91
      TheDragonBringerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I discovered I make more when I write quality posts. If your writing just for money, things can just flop. When I write about things I know, and feel passionate about, I get better results. We all know about something. The hard part is finding your own unique angle.

I'm not going to be one of the sky is failing people. I'm going to have faith in HubPages. They have rewarded me well, and I only want to bring positive energy to the site.

16. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

Something that turns me off right away when I look at a Hubber's profile page is when I see Brand Name Logos used for hubs. They are copyrighted images and a STOP sign for me to go no further. It is called stealing and is illegal to do.

17. The Examiner-1 profile image62
    The Examiner-1posted 8 years ago

Well, now, Andrew, that  depends which tubes you are talking about. If you mean the refresh tubes, yes.

18. sparkster profile image85
    sparksterposted 8 years ago

I don't know what's going on, what I do know is that they partnered with a new ad network recently and therefore stats take longer to update. However, my traffic doesn't seem to be affected that badly. What does seem to have been affected adversely is my rate of earnings. My average rate of payment per 1,000 views has dropped to less than 50% of what it has been consistently for the last 5 years and that is very worrying.

19. carlajbehr profile image84
    carlajbehrposted 8 years ago

I am not happy with what happened recently when my traffic exploded - just like it did last year - and I saw little earnings... I got some canned explanations, but when I questioned - I got no response.... this is the first time I have been truly unhappy with this company and they do seem very silent....

20. chasmac profile image89
    chasmacposted 8 years ago

Sticky stats aren't an indication that HubPages is going down the tubes. We've had far worse than the current situation and have always come through. One time the stats were stuck for 45 years, but it didn't seem that long at the time.

21. Kelsey Farrell profile image60
    Kelsey Farrellposted 8 years ago

I'm glad (not really though) to see that I'm not the only one noticing a steady decline in page traffic. My hubscore used to hover around 88/89 and over the course of the last couple of weeks I've been struggling to keep it up, and my individual hubscores (which are all featured) are just as bad and falling even more rapidly. It's rather frustrating to have to keep updating/rewriting/reworking hubs that were doing well for so long and are no on the slow and steady decline.

22. bonda profile image42
    bondaposted 8 years ago

I divorced my hubscore months ago.  I dont understand it so i wont stress over it. Ha ha!

23. cperuzzi profile image90
    cperuzziposted 8 years ago

It's you.  I've read your Hubs.  Honestly, from a constructive standpoint, you need to use better words and construction.  While your topics are spot on, I'm sure your not using any real effective meta data within your article to attract readers.  You have videos and other tools, but none of those actually make me engaged with anything you're presenting.  Plus, your descriptions on your home page for each article don't attract me as a reader.  I was a quarter page through your article on eBay and how to make money and I lost interest.  IN MAKING MONEY.

Reassess, think about presentation and vocabulary.

24. liladybugz26 profile image89
    liladybugz26posted 8 years ago

I just had one of my high traffic hubs that started losing traffic overhauled by a HubPro editor, and my traffic is back up. I now understand some of the things I was doing that make a big difference. The most important thing I learned is that all photos should be full width. It makes a big difference with Google.

Other than that Hub, my others have also rebounded after the initial Google hit last month. Sometimes the little things can mean a lot. It's not HP in a downfall, it's keeping up to date with Google's standards and evolving your own Hubs with the times.

This.

25. Adventuretravels profile image86
    Adventuretravelsposted 8 years ago

You are so right. I haven't actually earned very much at all by writing online. But I did have a shock when Squidoo suddenly shut and sent all my articles to Hubpages. Now they aren't doing at all well. I can't imagine them doing better any time soon. sad

26. LindaSmith1 profile image62

My hubs went to my own sites. I am doing a lot better than I was here. Sales almost every day.  Traffic is great. Now in process of moving content from another platform to my own sites.  I Have had more sales since Jan, than i have, in total, for past 4 years using HP and other sites like it.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74

Linda, I still want to know how you accomplished getting so much traffic to your new sites. Please share. My new blogs aren't doing that well compared to my hubs here. This would be good info for any of us to know.

27. LindaSmith1 profile image62

Barbara: All I do is use Pinterest, Google Plus, FB timeline, and I did create 2 FB pages for 2 of my sites. There are days I have hit over 400 views for new site.  I still average 150 or better daily.

Well I guess you aren't doing anything much out of the ordinary. I've been thinking about moving some of mine that aren't doing well here. Thanks.

28. LindaSmith1 profile image62

Barbara: No, all I do is try to add content at least once a week.  I don't deal with a bunch of photos, and videos either.

29. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

HAHAHAHAHA! I did a big exit post I don't know... 3 years ago? Hubpages is fine. They recently bought out Squidoo. They have been going for nearly a decade. They do not owe YOU an explanation, because there are thousands of writers here, all with different demands. If they spend all their time answering questions and giving (relatively meaningless) statistics, they wouldn't have time to do the regular changes they do, which improve your style, quality and income. Want to track stats? Sign up for Google Analytics. More accurate and you also get real time info if you want it.

Google traffic rises and falls. Based on seasons, algorithms and lots of other reasons.

Honestly, if you don't like it, leave. I write maybe 4 hubs a year now and I still get a nice payout each month. I write quality content that does well both in Google and social media (some of my top hubs have over 100,000 social media shares).

I send anyone who asks how to write online to Hubpages. Why? Because creating your own site is hard work (I have over 30) and you will likely get less traffic on your own site compared to Hubpages if you're new to Internet writing. At least Hubpages is free, ranks well, has great inernal linking and provides all the tools to quickly write and publish.

My advice to new writers is - write 30-60 hubs without looking at your traffic. You will learn a LOT from writing that many as well as hone your online content style. Then, see which ones work and copy that format. Leave the ones that sink alone (for all you know, they could take off in a year, IF they are decent quality).

Got an amazing hub on a great topic that receives traffic? Start a website about that topic and use the hub as a backlink to start generating traffic to your website.

Hubpages does not exist in a vacuum. It should be part of your online strategy, not your ONLY online strategy, if you wish to earn money online.

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
      LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Words of wisdom!

Those of us who have been here for more than a couple of years know how successful and experienced WryLilt is when it comes to online writing. smile

Good to see you, WryLilt.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Aaaaah did I reply to your email? I can't remember.

Hi. Yes, you did.

Were you happy with Chris? I've been too busy to turn the tv on for the past few weeks. Too busy to watch it, let alone make it anymore. lol.

Yes, he was great to work with smile

2. LongTimeMother profile image93

I was his producer when he did his first big foot-in-the-door story (on that same program). He's done many more since then, and I've never seen him mess one up.

Very professional with everything he approaches. I was pleased you were working with him.

If you email me the date, I'll see if I can find it online.

Sent you two emails!

Ok. Checking now. Thanks. smile

2. Pearldiver profile image66

+ 10
      Love it WL... so wry in it's blatant honesty & delivery!
      Great words from Downunder  smile

G'day Pearldiver. Maybe its the Down Under honesty that makes kiwis and aussies successful online. lol

1. Pearldiver profile image66

G'day there LT.. you're probably right on that one - but there's a lot out there that can't handle our directness, honesty or humour! Lucky we don't need those ones smile  eh mate?

There's a surprising number of aussies and kiwis on hp, Pearldiver. (Just on this one thread there's comments from you, me, WryLilt, Suzanne Day, and Kangaroo_Jase ... perhaps more that I'm unaware of.)

In my years at hp I've come across lots of other honorary-antipodeans.

I can think of lots of hubbers around the world who would fit right in to our culture. What a shame they're destined to remain in the northern hemisphere. I think they'd enjoy our lifestyle ... and our conversations! lol.

3. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, WryLilt.

4. CherylK profile image80
      CherylKposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that excellent post!  I'm really hoping that HubPages is a decent site for my former Squidoo pages. Reading many of the posts in this thread is discouraging but you've given me hope! Now I just need to make sure my pages fit the HP format, etc.

30. LindaSmith1 profile image62

Less hubs, publishers now than when they started. What does that say!!!!  Traffic is not less away from HP, it goes up with own sites, and you don't need 60 articles to get there.  Sales are better away from content farms.  Google does not like content farms.  These site shut down every day, including those that have been around a long time.

31. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

I have trouble getting excited about 400 views a day for a whole website ... when writing on hubpages, it is possible to get more than 1,000 visits per day for a single hub!

Anyone who can write effectively and takes the time to become familiar with what is expected from effective hubbing can easily attract 400 views a day on hubpages ... without the time and hassle involved in setting up and maintaining their own websites.

32. profile image55
    SanXuaryposted 8 years ago

For me its not about money or hubs. Its a place to test your writing skills, reaction and to determine how it should be written before you really go public.

1. bonda profile image42
      bondaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Right on Sanxuary.  The money is something extra.  I have been here for a year and i will give Hubpages another year, as long as story ideas keep knocking in my head.  I will play the Lotto if i want to make money.

33. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 8 years ago

Just to add a little further to Wrylilt's comment.

The sky is falling every day with HubPages. Not ever a new topic on the forums and we've seen these around often for those of us around a long time.

I still use HubPages, but I'm not often here.

Get outside of HubPages and expand your horizons, at least you will start to see different form than all the forumites complaining about HubPages dying, Hub scores going down, stats not updating, page views declining, re-writing Hubs due to rule changes, yada, yada, yada. Come back in 12 months and guess what the leading 6 forum topics will be?

I've seen everyone of these suggested calamities in the near 6 years I have been here. Obviously, HubPages hasn't disappeared off the face of the earth. Yes, Squidoo died, but its been a long time for sites to change (constantly), or die.

Guest write for others, start a blog, buy a website and sell stuff, sell on eBay, write ebooks, teach others through webinars, start a Youtube channel, create a membership site, become a public speaker.

There are SO many other avenues on the internet, except you not being able to see them if you ONLY have your head stuck in HubPages only.

Hi Jase, long time no see! I agree there's all sorts of things on the net to do.

Anyone who's suffering a long, painful death at Hubpages should check out something else. Maybe you're more suited to a different form of business? For example, I'm hopeless at video, but I'm sure there are a bunch of people here who would have the time of their life with it. Etc etc.

It's only by exploring different things can you truly learn what flows easily and what's passionate for you.

34. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 8 years ago

Hey KJ... Go easy on those Ostreochook birds!  It can't be very easy to breath with your head in the sand... and as usual you've delivered a whole raft of reasons positive thinking was invented... take care over there my Ocka mate!   smile

35. profile image55

I have an idea that could make hub pages the first and most feared site in America. Once it became known every American would want to visit it.

SanXuary, Share your idea.

36. profile image55

It would be hard to explain exactly how it works but I will try. You have what people already do and that is create hubs. A media portion that discusses the things of the day. Lets say I write on the electoral system of electing the President. We allow a debate on the system and we let people decide if it should be changed or not. If we gain a lot of yes votes that it should be changed we start a petition in all 50 states to change it. If people know they can go to a site and voice their opinion, vote and actually become a voice this could be incredibly intriguing. We might not have any legal means at first but even an opinion poll can become powerful. You would have to work it into stages before you make it a real petition but you get the idea. Imagine the first real site where Americans can go to and actually be a political activist. Then there is the real advertising side of this. Lets say I love a certain product or lets say I hate a certain product. It would not be on the political side of this but the consumer side of this. There is a lot of potential on a lot of topics and a true system of receiving opinions on various subjects. People will want to come to this site to read and discuss there interest and vote or write on it. Advertisers will definitely want to be here if there product is highly recommended by real people with honest opinions. It would take some time to create the programs so people know how it works and it would not be some kind of slug fest but I believe it would be completely achievable. Right now is there any where to go to see how any of your politicians have voted. Is there anywhere to go and to start a petition and a place that offers Americans the ability to instantly voice there opinion on anything political in this country? If you have the power you have the opportunity to create something incredible and if I won the lottery I would do exactly this.

37. profile image55

Topic:
    Survey:
    Recommendations:
    What would you change or petition:
    Examples:

(Generic Subject)
    I love Writing (Topic)
    Survey (Some kind of survey)
    Do you like to write ( Examples)
    What do you like writing about or topics pick the ones you like
    What would you recommend
    Would the reader like to add more information to the topic.

(Commercial Subject)
    I love my Ford Bronco
    Survey
    What you like
    What you do not like
    What you would recommend for the ford Bronco

Why the electoral vote for President needs to be changed
    Survey
    What you would petition
    survey again
    (your readers opinion good or bad to include recommendations)

Even as a writer we often need some facts checkers and honestly some facts are next to impossible to get.
    The Idea is everyone's opinion counts and there is a way to debate a subject and not be confrontational at all. If you get to vote your opinion gets out there any way.

38. paradigm search profile image54

Herding Hubbers is like herding cats, can't be done.

39. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 8 years ago

Well if it is any consolation I have been here over 8 years and seen a lot of changes.
    I'm still here.
    A lot has changed since 2007, but we are still chugging along.
    That beats everywhere I have written save Blogger.

40. profile image55

That's a depressing response there are so many people out there who truly want to be heard. If I listed all the major nightmares going on in this country and thousands know it, but feel powerless to do anything about it. We are simply living in apathy. We get really tired of talking about it because no one actually knows if the majority is on anyone's side. We have the technology today to find out but no one wants someone to find out the truth, unless some power with an agenda wants to tell you what the truth is. Hub pages, the place where your opinion counts, that could be the future of Hub pages. I have discovered that certain topics make you a radical even if you our not by simply bringing them up. I have no fear of being a radical and would rather know a thousand radicals then have one friend. The reason why is friends are apathetic and radicals change the World. Every great person who ever changed the powers that be was a radical. Not all of them were good but there were some great ones. Its not about herding hubbers but finding out what others think. Its less talk and more opinion and instead of disagreeing discovering what works and better ideas.

I understand about the problems going on in many countries today. I suspect all our warlord governments are simply trying to prevent revolutions at this point. At least HP could make a good outlet to publish some of this information...

41. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 8 years ago

I have a brilliant idea to get heaps of traffic.

Make an article in Mandarin and submit it to Baidu. Success guaranteed!

There's more people in China to read our stuff, so it should float the boat for decades to come.

42. Jason mackenzie profile image78
    Jason mackenzieposted 6 years ago

Hi...what is puzzling me is that how can a hub be featured and then slip back into QAP? What could be the possible reasons?

Usually, it can't.   However if you edit the Hub in any way, it may be sent back through QAP again.   When you think about it, that's an obvious safeguard in case you added something in the edit that might be against the rules.

43. Jason mackenzie profile image78

Hi, I added a link after it got featured and then removed it, everything else being the same....????

Yup, that means you opened the Hub in Edit mode, made a change, and saved it.

That sends it back through QAP.

44. Jason mackenzie profile image78

That it does - but when everything is the same, why is the verdict different?

Because QAP is done by human beings.  You got a different moderator this time, maybe.  Opinions differ, and sometimes people even make mistakes...

2. chasmac profile image89
      chasmacposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Jason, I think your Hub got lost in the QAP process, somewhere.. I can see how different editors might judge a borderline Hub differently, but yours isn't a borderline Hub. It should have passed by now. If a Hub passes all the HP guidelines, no editor should be able to fail it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)