jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

What are the daily stats when a hub is thought to have "gone viral"?

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
    Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago

Every so often I see comments about hubs "going viral".  I'm just curious what people consider when they say a hub has "gone viral".  Is it 100 views a day...1,000 views a day...10,000 views a day, etc...?  Is a hub considered viral when the number of views goes up for a few days and then goes down, or is it viral when the number of views goes up and stays up?

1. David 470 profile image87
      David 470posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't know if this is viral, but back in 2011 I had a hub that got 5000 views a day for weeks.

In my opinion 10,000+ would be more so..

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think 5,000 per day is pretty viral!  I've never been that lucky!

2. catgypsy profile image80
        catgypsyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

WOW!!!  That's pretty terrific...and viral, I would say!

3. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image96
        Glimmer Twin Fanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

5,000 hits per day is awesome in my opinion.  Wow.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 3 years ago

In the larger scheme of the web, when something is viral it achieves millions of views in anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

I've only "gone viral" once. A band I wrote about linked to my Hub on their official Facebook page so my views blew up huge for a couple of days afterwards... I think I racked up about 9000 views over three or four days. I was ecstatic. I wish it would happen more often. smile

4. Greekgeek profile image97
    Greekgeekposted 3 years ago

Relache is correct in that "viral" on the web at large tends to mean a sustained traffic flow that results in millions of visitors over a few weeks. Think of when Gangnam Style took over the web, for an extreme example. It was a viral phenomenon with staying power.

Like FreddysCat, I use "viral" more imprecisely to refer to times when one of my pages has gotten a great link from a prominent article and/or gotten a flood of social, topical traffic, boosting its traffic up into the thousands per day for a week or two. But this isn't really viral, as it's not hundreds of thousands, nor does it last for more than a few weeks of buzz.

I guess I'd call it a "social media spike," or something. Even if they're not long-term viral, they pay nicely.

I really love having a few page on topics that tend to get a traffic spike whenever that topic is in the news again.

5. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image68
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 3 years ago

Wow , 5000 a day sounds viral to me.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

Considering that on a good day, the majority of my Hubs get an average of maybe 10 hits per day (if I'm lucky), suddenly getting a few thousand in one shot was certainly "viral" enough for me! big_smile

7. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 3 years ago

Three views. In a single day!!!  Absolute madness.  I was rushed off my feet - getting ready to answer comments (no one bothered) - counting my Adsense (one cent).

Since then it has gone back to normal but I live in hope.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

tongue

Hiya, Ewbie!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image83
        Mark Ewbieposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hello you!!!!

2. catgypsy profile image80
      catgypsyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Mark...so funny! Sounds like my viral moment...haha.

working