Why Don't I Get Traffic From Pinterest?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 10 years ago

I have been pinning my Hubs on Pinterest for a few months now, and about 70 of my Hubs are now pinned.  I have also had several of my pins to Hubs shared by others on Pinterest.  Despite all of this, I do not have one single click from Pinterest showing up in my HubPages traffic stats.  What's up with that?  Any explanation?

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would concentrate on made for Pinterest graphics. Yours are nice, but Pinterest graphics should be abundantly clear what the pin is about and either be extremely beautiful, eye-catching or have words directly on the image saying what the picture is leading to.  I go viral on Pinterest quite regularly with several of my hubs. I am redeveloping different graphics for some of my older ones. 

Also, there are some things that do much better than others over there. How To's, Food, Life Hacks that sort of stuff.

Rock_njposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tips Christin.  I will keep them in mind.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rock_nj,

Keep in mind that Pinterest focuses on images, so many people may Pin your Hub without actually clicking on it just because they like your photos. Pins and Repins don't automatically translate into Hub views unless people on Pinterest are clicking on the "Website" Hub link in the Pin.

As ChristinS points out, good Made-for-Pinterest images with a clever hook  are a good way to entice more people to click on the links and read your Hubs.

Thanks for the advice regarding how Pinterest works.  Can somebody please send post a link to a Pin of a Hub that went viral, so I can see what works?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
          Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this
          1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile

Rock, my hub Wedding Check List - Big & Small Things You Might Forget When Planning Your  has like 40,000 pins using MFP images. And my How TO Induce Labor has about 60,000.

Thanks WryLilt for letting me know what has been successful for you at Pinterest.  I will check them out.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if this applies in your case but I pin a lot of work by others if I like what I see. This has translated into an increase of about 29% of Pinterest visits to my HP account

I do pin other people's Hubs when I come across one I want to share.  How does that come back to increase your views though?

1. brakel2 profile image73
          brakel2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is a good idea to pin other items that you see, as Pinterest likes all kinds of interactions. I have pinned several items from others onto my boards, not just HubPages.

2. NiaG profile image84
    NiaGposted 10 years ago

Do you guys just post things once on Pinterest? Or do you post your hubs multiple times?

I usually post them once, unless I forget that I posted it previously.  I'm just surprised that I have a big goose egg from Pinterest, considering all my pins and the number of shares, but I guess people may not realize that there is an article behind the nice picture that they pinned.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Like most social networks it is about having followers who love you stuff.  Without that you can pin a million images and get basically zero traffic. 

Most of my Pinterest traffic comes from some person I do not know pinning my pictures just because they liked them.  I only pin a handful of my very best pictures in amongst others.

Thanks!  I am just surprised that following the law of big numbers that given the number of pins, shares, and the few followers I have at Pinterest, I still have a big goose egg on HubPages as far as Traffic coming from Pinterest.  I need to try out some of the advice above about making images that attract more attention and indicate that there is a link behind them.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One thing you might do is check the traffic by opening each individual hub.  Pinterest traffic won't show on the stats screen until it surpasses the lowest number already there for total "ever" views but it will show up in individual hub stats if "day", "week" and "month" views are checked.  Somewhere in there you should find where it passes the lowest traffic source.

I know it took considerable time for Pinterest to show up on my own stats page, even though watching specific hubs (by opening the hub) showed some views.

Thanks for pointing that out.  You're probably right that Pinterest has not broken into my top traffic sources, and therefore is not showing up in the general traffic data.  I'll have to check the stats for a few of my Hub pins that were repinned to see if I received any traffic from Pinterest

4. randomcreative profile image87
    randomcreativeposted 10 years ago

As of August 2013, this is by far my most pinned hub.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Handmade-Coaste … e-Coasters
    Pinterest has been my #1 traffic source for the article for over a year.

Other hubbers have given some great advice about the kind of images that people like to pin and why people pin images in the first place. I write a lot of HubPages articles about crafts, food, and education, all of which are popular topics on Pinterest. Many of your article topics aren't of prime interest on the site. That doesn't mean that you'll never get pins, but it may not be in your best interest to pursue Pinterest traffic, as there are most likely other sites that are a better fit.

Thanks randomcreative.  Did you pin all the images in your Hub?  I see you have quite a few of them.  I think you're right that many of my articles are probably not a good fit for Pinterest.  Perhaps I'll write one about Stampin Up this fall, and see how that does on Pinterest.

If it's not an MFP, it won't get traffic. I only pin my MFPs. Often I don't even pin those - I let visitors pin them. Works better.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

You can also go to Pinterest to see who pinned you spontaneously. That tends to show which of your pics are the most grabby,

6. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

I recently read you need to put a link when you pin something to Pinterest. You edit it, then put link which links back to article. I have not been doing that. Hope it works.

If you pin straight from the hub, it automatically inserts the link... that's the whole idea of Pinterest.

Hi Wrylilt - An SEO article was what I read. It said Pinterest does not add a link. Maybe I have not been doing it correctly. On other hubs or articles, I pin a photo from the hub or click the pin it. Sometimes I pin other pictures from Pinterest. Should they all have links, as some do not?

Do you have the "Pin It" button in your browser bar? If so, it adds a link automatically.

If you upload the image direct to Pinterest, no, it won't have a link and you'll need to add it.

No it is not in my browser bar. Will fix.  Article in case anyone is interested about Pinterest. Wrylilt, see if you agree with the points if you have time..

http://www.pamorama.net/2013/03/23/22-t … fographic/

7. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

I have noticed that people who do read through to my hubs are the hubs that I always write quite a long explanation on. When we pin ours from Hubpages, always make sure you write quite a lot in the box provided. For example if its about apple pie don't just leave  it saying, apple pie recipe. Add something like 'my mother used to make this she used a secret recipe with the added ingredient.... and then of course leave the last word out. gets them every time! lol!

Great advice Nell.  Thanks!  I will try longer descriptions in my Pins.

8. Chuck Bluestein profile image60
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 10 years ago

Actually it mostly depends on how many followers that a board has that the post is on, on how many people even see that post. There are group boards on Pinterest with tens of thousands of followers. So if you put an article about health on a health board with 30,000 followers then you should get many re-pins.

The one that I had the most re-pins with had a good story and good image (picture)(viral) placed on a group board. It was about why the Japanese are the longest living people.

The image was an Asian woman doing a yoga posture that I believe is called yoga mudra. Your legs are crossed like in meditation but the arms are crossed behind the back grabbing your feet.

1. Chuck Bluestein profile image60
      Chuck Bluesteinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually it is called Bound Lotus Pose (Prep.) / Baddha Padmasana.

9. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 10 years ago

Just to update everyone.  I checked Google Analytics, and was pleased to find that I had about 50 clicks from Pinterest to my Hubs over the summer of 2013, so at least I am getting some interest from Pinterest.  I am not going to give up on it and will keep everyone's advice under considerations.

Thanks everyone for your input!  :-)

10. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years ago

I pin a lot of Hubs, some of my own, and some by others that I find interesting, or useful.  I have gotten some traffic.  When I look at something on Pinterest, I always click the link to make sure it's really going to where it says it's going, instead of spammy crap or something like that.  I know others don't but I would hope that many do, so I hope that when I pin something, someone will open it.  I try to pin things that are quality, so that my followers will trust the pins I post.

11. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 10 years ago

They like food on Pinterest and it doesn't hurt to say "click here to see recipe." I try not to pin one hub more than once not sure Pinterest likes double pinning, but I may be wrong.

12. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

I am a great fan of Pinterest. It is responsible for a surprising amount of my traffic. smile

You can even pin from your iPhone if you have new version of Pinterest. I love Pinterest.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Or any Android phone.  I have Pinterest on my phone, and it's the main way I check pinterest.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)