jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

When do you stop following a hub's comments?

1. 0
    sheilamyersposted 2 years ago

It seems that some people stop reading comments left at a hub after the hub author has responded to whatever comment they've left. This is only a guess because I've read some people's comments (other than the author's responses) and they've brought up something in addition to what was said in the hub and I have asked them questions and they never respond. I know some people aren't interested in having on-going discussions, but I was wondering how many people do. Do you leave questions for people other than the hub author? If you read through the comments and someone has asked someone a question and you know the answer, do you respond to that person's question? Or do you wait for the hub author to respond to whatever you've said and then stop following the comments?

1. Sherry Hewins profile image95
      Sherry Hewinsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If I've left a comment on a hub, I usually have found it interesting enough to revisit it to see what others have said, and on occasion I have put in my two cents worth on someone else's comment. Some people think comments should be addressed only to the author.

If a hub gets a lot of comments though, I will eventually tire of seeing it in my notifications and unfollow it.

2. Faith Reaper profile image86
      Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I used to always continue to follow the comment thread, but now I have tens of thousands of HP email.  So, now, once I comment and then the author comments back, I will unfollow the hub comments unless it is a really interesting hub topic I am very interested in continuing to read the comments of others, which is usually the case.  You have made a valid point, that another point will be brought up and all will miss out on it.

1. 0
        sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

We seem to react the same. I'll follow the comments if people are adding a lot of additional information. If not, I'll follow for a few days and then unfollow.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image95
          Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You brought up a good subject, Sheila. I do the same as you and Faith. If the hub is something I want to return to and if I know the author is one to carry on a good conversation, I stay with it till it fades out. Usually, I know that once I receive a reply to my comment, I stop following.

I wonder now, though -- when we stop following a hub, does that have any influence on the hub score?

1. 0

I was also wondering about that. Maybe someone on staff here at HP will be able to tell us.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I very rarely visit any hub more than once.  If I want a conversation I go to a forum.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Me too

3. 0
    Beth37posted 2 years ago

I wait and see if the author responds and then when they do, I usually unfollow.

1. Ericdierker profile image80
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It is individual. I have to unfollow Billybuc because I get swamped along with Eddy from Whales. It is just too much to follow. But I follow yours because they call for discussion and do not get 100 responses in 30 hrs.
      I love some of mine that I follow and a year later there is a great response of it just brings me back and in my new space I read it new.

Business wise you have to unfollow all but yours. It is just reality. Otherwise you will burn out and be pulled into too many directions.

That is advice from no one who should give it.

1. 0

What you say about a hubber that has a lot of followers who leave comments is true. After a couple of days, it becomes more of a chore to try to keep up with everything that's being said.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 years ago

I have opted out of the email notifications except for things like newsletters, etc. It has helped me retain the remnants of sanity.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image95
      Sherry Hewinsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I opted out of email too, but I still get HP notifications.

5. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 2 years ago

I never follow hub comments. If I leave a comment, I might check a couple of times in the following days to see if the author has responded.