jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)

Pinning at Pinterest?

1. 0
    sheilamyersposted 2 years ago

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of allowing people to pin your hubs at Pinterest? When a person does pin a hub, does it show the entire hub or just a link to the hub here at HP?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
      LuisEGonzalezposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It shows a photograph and the link along with the "H" in bold and people do not pin a hub just a photograph from the hub.

1. 0
        sheilamyersposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. As Long as I've been doing things on the internet, Pinterest is one of the sites I haven't yet checked out. Now I know how it works.

2. Solaras profile image91
    Solarasposted 2 years ago

Some people have hubs go viral or mini viral through Pintrest. It opens your work up to a new audience with their set of followers.  I have a bloody mary recipe that gets repinned often, without that I think it would get no traffic.

Wrylilt has an excellent hub on Made for Pintrest Images.  Many people get substantial traffic through Pintrest.

1. 0

I didn't know Pinterest had such a big following, but if hubs can get a lot of hits from there, I'll have to change my settings.

3. ChicagoPhotos profile image82
    ChicagoPhotosposted 2 years ago

Because "pining" or "liking" or retweeting" or thumbs up" are all  electronic forms of sharing an idea they like.   By not adding these functions you are basically saying " if you like this, I made it extra hard you to share it "   and if you only allow FB or Linkedin or only the social media you use, it is equal to saying " I only want you to share this these ways, not the best way YOU choose" 
    You would think you would want as many ways to share you content as possible, you don't have to understand it, but a no brainer is to go with the biggest ones first.

BTW- there are stats that show people who buy through pintrest  spend some of the highest amounts on the web for online purchases.  Sounds like my kind of audience.

Hope this helps.

1. 0

Thanks. I have seen my books pinned even though I'm not sure how much that has increased my sells, but I'm sure it has some effect. As any writer, I'd love to see more people take an interest in my work here at HP so I'll go change my settings.

4. Dolores Monet profile image90
    Dolores Monetposted 2 years ago

I recently had a comment on one of my hubs where someone tried to pin the picture but they were told it was not pinable. Why would something not be pinable? I still don't quite understand the whole concept.

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image97
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Dolores - You may have pinning disabled on your hubs.  You can check your setting under your profile.  The other day I tried to pin something of yours and there was no pin button.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hi Dolores,

As Glimmer Twin Fan mentioned, you may have disabled Pinning in your settings. If you want to enable it, visit My Account > Profile > Social Networks and uncheck the box next to “Disallow Pinterest users from pinning my Hubs.”

1. Mark Ewbie profile image84
        Mark Ewbieposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Checked.  Phew!

2. 0

I never knew the option was available until I was surfing around all of the various links in my account. I just happened to stumble on it the other day. I guess I should've done that sooner.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 2 years ago

I average maybe 1,000 visits a day from Pinterest. Using the right images, it can be a great source of traffic.

1. 0

Sounds like Pinterest would definitely provide a big boost if someone can see what may interest them enough to visit a hub. I've changed my settings to allow pinning so I'll have to keep an eye on how many views I get from there.

1. Writer Fox profile image81
        Writer Foxposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Pinterest is a social sharing site.  Presently, there are no financial incentives (revenue sharing) for actually being a member of the site.

People can share pins to photos on your Hubs within the site itself, without ever visiting your Hubs. 

You do get a link to your Hub from each pin, but it is a NoFollow link and that means that it will not contribute to the Google PageRank of your Hub and it also means that not every pin will result in an actual visit to your Hub.

Occasionally, a photo from one of your Hubs may garner a temporary boost in page views for your Hub, but the CPM is usually quite low from those visits.

To get tons of page views from Pinterest, you usually have to spend a lot of time working on the site, following boards, developing a following etc. Usually, if you don't do any of that, you should get at least a few pins and Facebook likes from people who visit your Hubs and participate in those sites even if you don't.

I think the HP record-holder is mommytalks who has "over 274,000 pins" to a single Hub. She only has one Hub on her Profile and that Hub only has one photo, so it's easy to go there and see what works on Pinterest.

Three of the disadvantages are: 1) some people on Pinterest will change the link to your Hub (I've had to report this on my Hubs several times to Pinterest and the site removed the pins in question); 2) occasionally, a Pinterest page will outrank your Hub for the keywords you used; and 3) the pinner can change the caption you wrote on your photo, which may or may not be important to you.

I allow my photos to be pinned and my Hubs to be Facebook-liked, and I am glad when someone decides to share them.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Writer Fox:  I checked the hub you mentioned and what interests me is that the photo is one of a brand name product...something we are supposed to be carefull about using due to plagiarism issues.  How did she get away with doing that??

That use would probably fall under "fair use" in copyright law.  Also, she is promoting the purchase of the product so it is unlikely that the copyright owner would object. (I don't think HP does anything about photo violations unless it is contacted by the owner of the copyright.)

2. 0

Thanks for the details. I'm just now getting around to learning about some of the other sites out there and your explanation really helps.

You're welcome!

3. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 2 years ago in reply to this

OR you can use made for Pinterest images so you don't even have to join Pinterest, and make your current visitors do the work. Plus people are a lot less likely to steal or mislink your images.