The Pinterest Button

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (39 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

I finally did it!  I took the plunge.  I opened an account two weeks ago, but had not created a "board" or pinned anything.  I'm still not sure how to get followers, but I'll learn.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We will find you. smile Congratulations! smile

mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'll look forward to it!  I was busy last night pinning my Hubs.  It's really quite simple once you start going.  smile

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please be aware that pinning a photo from a hub that you have the legal right to use is technically a breach of copyright unless you pin from the ORIGINAL source.

And it's important to read the Pinterest ToS carefully - they tell you that you must have all rights to post the photo and that they retain all rights to use or sell the photo as they wish plus more....

1. cloverleaffarm profile image77
            cloverleaffarmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which is why I have no interest in pinterest. We don't need another social networking site, just saying.

Oh it's completely different from a social networking site in that regard. It is an ingenious idea, but like all such ideas, it can be abused.

If you make photos yourself for pinning with titles, you can get good traffic...

2. mary615 profile image82

I only pin those Hubs that I took the photographs myself.  If they want to use my amateurish photos, they are welcome to them.  If I were a professional photographer, I would not pin.

Sounds like you'll do well then. smile Good luck.

2. moonlake profile image86
      moonlakeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mary did you go on pinterest using the same name you use here? Just wondering if that's what everyone is doing.

I have a different user name that I had to choose.

2. Dorsi profile image82
    Dorsiposted 12 years ago

I just started Pinterest too. It's fun putting all my favorites in a visual place instead of just as a bookmark. I think it's a great idea. I haven't thought much about any revenue side of it - yet. But I'm sure I will lol.

I think it will lead traffic to our Hubs, and that will lead to additional revenue.  At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Correct. I've found images that have the hub title in them get the most click throughs.

So far the best I've done is a picture being repinned ~40 times and bringing me about 300 extra views.

Wow, that's great!!!  So far,  I really like Pinterest.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

It would be nice if folks were to put their Pinterest profile link on their HP profiles. Just saying...big_smile

Good point. Will do!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You gotta spiffy HP profile page there. I might have to plagiarize the last line of it.big_smile

And consider yourself Pinterest followed.

Thanks. And yes, there is only so much you can do with text and special characters but I did my best!

I just looked at your profile.  Love what you did to direct readers to your Pinterest. How did you do that????   I'm following you, OK.?

Instead of typing in the actual address and turning it into a link, I turn a word into a link. It looks neater - and I've divided mine up at the bottom with hyphens ---------------.

You can change yours if you want, they don't have to be the URL that links.

Duh.....I'm really dumb.  How do you turn a word into a link???  I know how to copy/paste a URL.  Thanks!

4. Helena Ricketts profile image91
    Helena Rickettsposted 12 years ago

I just signed up for Pinterest a few days ago but didn't start pinning until this evening.  I pinned two of my travel hubs about an hour ago and one has already been re-pinned by someone I do not know that isn't following me and I'm not following them.

If that's any sign of what's to come, I think I'm going to like it!

PS: Anyone want to be buddies on there?  My user name on there is laniericketts.  I don't have much on there yet but just like everything else, it takes time and I'm always willing to help out a fellow Hubber!

Pinterest is a lot like Twitter in that regard. It doesn't matter how many followers you have it's about using hashtags (or in Pinterest's case, choosing good categories) so everyone in that section, no matter who they are, can see what you pin.

1. Helena Ricketts profile image91
        Helena Rickettsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did not know that!  I don't quite understand the Pinterest site yet.  I thought that re-pinning someone else's pin would help them out but if everyone can see it, then I guess it really doesn't matter.  That explains how that person snapped up and re-pinned that hub so fast.  I was wondering how it happened but was actually glad to see it.

It does help them as long as it links back to their original site (and they wanted it pinned).

The more people that see it, the more chance someone will click it and visit the site/hub.

5. gramarye profile image60
    gramaryeposted 12 years ago

Hi - I also joined pinterest however - I later read the terms and conditions, and it says quite clearly that is should not be used for personal promotion, so you had better share around your pins!

Well it seems they're not enforcing any of their other T&Cs so.... wonder if that applies to all their rules.

Although they'll HAVE to start cracking down on things soon!

6. Ann Nonymous profile image60
    Ann Nonymousposted 12 years ago

hahaha! I so don't get pinterest yet have to admit it has a plethora of fascinating and inspiring creative pins. I wish I understood it more....I'll have to look yours up..hmmm If I can figure it out and find my around that is!

7. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

I have not discovered how to find my fellow Hubbers on Pinterest.  Any advice?

Google "[username] Pinterest?"

People are starting to put their Pinterest links on their profiles I've noticed...

Thanks for that info.  I tried searching using the Hubber's real name; no results.  Without knowing their user name, you cant find them, right??   I put the Pinterest link on my profile.

You do realise it's neater to link some keywords instead of the entire url, right?

I love the way you have yours on your profile.  I got Pinterest on my profile, but mine is not as neat and nice as yours.  I don't follow you when you say to link some keywords instead of the entire url.  You lost me.

It's very easy.

1. Type the words you want to turn into a link - such as "My Gardening Site".
              2. Highlight those words with your mouse.
              3. Click the link tool (looks like  a chain icon).
              4. In the popup box insert the URL address of your site.
              5. Click ok and you should have a link.

Thanks so much!  I'll give that a try.

8. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

I just got 4 random repins by using a quick'n'dirty homemade cartoon in a hub. This seriously has potential. I think I'm going to invest some time into making my hubs more pin-friendly.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I checked your cartoon, it's neat.  And the link with Pinterest is interesting.  Sure you can write brilliant words (and you can), but a neat, eye-catching picture and a pithy caption can work on Pinterest.

It's interesting which pictures work and which don't. I'm playing with it in the hope of finding out.

One more thing. What I really like about Pinterest is the feedback element. Either they like it, or they ignore it.  There's no faffing around with social niceties.

My top Pinterest tip? Write the title of your article on the image or give them a teaser... so they'll want to click through.

great idea!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)