OMG! What happened to my tutorials? Steps, photos missing & rearranged

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

I signed onto HubPages to find out which of my lenses have been turned into solid walls of text and found some of my how to pages mangled into uselessness!

Some of my tutorials, including my money rose tutorial that gets a few thousand views a week, are now missing steps and photos, and have been rearranged on the page so they make no sense!

Obviously, I'm reporting it as a bug as soon as I find all of my mangled tutorials.  Do check your tuotrials to see if HP has rearranged your steps for some reason.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

http://hubpages.com/squidoo/faq has details on how several of the the modules translate to HubPages.

If you see bugs based on this document, please let us know.

Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, after reading through the page, it must be bugs.  I did not ever use the how-to format because I could never get it to work; I wrote my tutorials in regular format using text modules with photos.

The text in my affected lenses that are not tutorials was also written in text modules.  Most of the seventy lenses turned into walls of text are not tutorials although some of my tutorials also have walls of text in text modules inside them.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The "walls of text" bug is being looked into. We'll have a fix soon, but we are not sure whether it will require a re-import or not. I'll have a better ETA on the fix tomorrow or Wednesday.

Kylyssa, could you further describe the problem with steps appearing out of order? And if you have an example Hub, can you post it here?

Thanks!

I just looked at it again and the missing photos are back!  That's a big relief.  Unfortunately, the modules are still out of order. 

The lenshub is is @
        http://kylyssa.hubpages.com/hub/how-to- … money-rose

You can see what it looked like back in early July through the Wayback Machine.  I edited it after that but I just removed the user-generated share button, the links to other websites (I know HP doesn't like outgoing links much), and the featured lenses module which doesn't show on the Wayback Machine except for the title.

http://web.archive.org/web/201407031804 … money-rose

As you can see, the instructions and photos are now all there; they're just out of order.  Now that the photos are there and all the instructions are there it isn't as big a deal.  I can move a few modules around no problem.  It's a much easier fix than hunting up the photos and text again or rewriting it would be.  It isn't even that bad out of order now that it's all there.  A clever reader would be able to figure out how it goes and it no longer looks like a big tease with missing instructions.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
          Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The photos being back might be explained by the fix to this bug. Either way, I'm glad they're back!

We have snapshots of what every Featured Lens looked like on Squidoo at the time right before it was imported to HubPages. I took a look at the money rose Hub on HubPages now and when it was on Squidoo and the order of the steps is the same. Perhaps you were thinking of a different Hub? Or maybe you changed the order of the steps sometime between early July and when the import occurred?

If the lens looked like it does now before import, it must have been damaged on Squidoo.  I can't imagine I'd ever move the materials list out of first spot and put the steps out of order. They don't make logical sense the way they are now.

I changed that lens very, very seldom and not ever without reason because it's been shared a couple hundred thousand times online and I didn't want to mess up whatever the heck it is people think is special about it.  I recall this both because I have a good memory and because getting an article shared that much is a big deal for me.  I'm not the sort of writer who gets my work shared that much every day.  A guy even has the intro photo tattooed on him and two tattoo parlors got copyright permission from me to put derivative images in their display books.  It has something going on and I've handled it very gently since the day I saw it had over 100,000 pins on Pinterest.  It's one of my "pets" and it gets careful attention on the rare occasions when I change it.

I really, truly would not rearrange the steps of that tutorial so they are difficult to follow.  I can rearrange them and forfeit my grace period on that lenshub and it won't even more than irk me a little but that doesn't make it any less a glitch.  Whether the glitch occurred on Squidoo (which wouldn't surprise me at all) or on HubPages, it did occur.

2. Craftypicks profile image75
    Craftypicksposted 9 years ago

I have a lot of how to tutorials, but since I didn't like the How To format on Squidoo I used the regular lens format. I am glad I did because those transfered OK. In fact I like how they look better now. The limited number of How To format lenses didn't fair as well, but I'll get over it. I fixed them so they are passing Hubs standards and I'll just edit as I get a chance.

I didn't use the how-to format, either.  I never actually got the workshop for it to work on my computer.  These are regular format lenses.

3. Kylyssa profile image90

Looks like the answer is a form letter and a bit letting me know the money rose lens is still under the grace period.  I wish they'd looked at the hublens to see how it is rearranged.  What's missing and rearranged are text modules, not something unsupported.

4. Kylyssa profile image90

I can see people don't see why this is a problem so I'll explain it.  I accept that HubPages is not responsible for Squidoo's errors.  I just want people to understand why I brought it up at all.

* The affected lenshub I care most about has many, many, many shares on social media, primarily on Pinterest. 

* Shares on social media bring a thousand or more views per week to the lenshub affected that I care most about.

* Chances of the HP automated filters being able to interpret shares as shares and not as my lenshub being plagiarism seem slim to me.  I know staff will re-feature the hub after I write to them but I don't know if they can put the redirect back.

* If the page loses the redirect now, it loses the lion's share of its views, maybe permanently.

* If the page loses its redirect in four months, it will probably have a few thousand new shares with its new URL to cushion the loss of the hundreds of thousands of others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)