jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Can I send a message to people I have referred to encourage them?

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
    SpaceShantyposted 18 months ago

Looking at the people who I have referred to Hubpages not one of them has created any Hubs.  Would it be against HP TOS to send them an email through HP to encourage them?  I am not taking about simply spamming them but something along the lines of  "Hi, I see you signed up to Hubpages but have not created any Hubs yet, Hubpages is a great place to share your knowledge and maybe even make some money in the process, let me know if you need any advice on creating your first Hub (article).  Thanks, Chris"

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 18 months ago in reply to this

LOL - you aren't the first.  I've a dozen or so signups and only one wrote anything - 2 hubs in 4 years or some such.

But yes, if they allow it on the profile you may email them.  I did that, too, offering my help but never heard back.  Most signups seem to sign up thinking they must do so in order to leave a comment.

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
        SpaceShantyposted 18 months ago in reply to this

I don't think they have just signed up to leave a comment as I do get that a lot but they do not show up in my referrals.  I think most of my signups have come from where I promoted my aff. link.

I would like to encourage them but just don't want to get my account banned in the hope of making 10% of the pennies they earn!

If you have tried it and not had much success maybe I won't bother!

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Hi SS,

As others have mentioned, this is not against the rules, though I probably wouldn't expect a response. Just be sure that each note you send is unique. Sending several emails with the same text can trip our filters that identify spamming behavior.

But I think encouraging others to join and write on HubPages (especially using your tracker) is a great idea in general, and offering personalized help is very kind. smile

2. ThelmaC profile image90
    ThelmaCposted 18 months ago

I had the same thought as you about sending them a nice email like you mentioned.  I tried it but didn't have any response.  Oh well, it is worth a try.

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 18 months ago

I used to do that during the first few years of HubPages.  It can actually freak some users out because it wakes them up to the reality that they are your referral and they think you are spying on their account.  Watch out for that.

On the most part, you will find zero response.

4. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 18 months ago

I had the same experience as others - tried emailing and never got any response.

Also as you may be aware, there has been one case of someone being really upset at discovering they were a referral from someone they don't get along with.   So sometimes it's better if they don't know!

Having said that, I think that would be a rare occurrence - and I'm regretting not having made my referrals aware of their status, because one of my referrals had to have her username changed due to stalking.   In the process, I lost her referral, because she thought she'd signed up under someone else and gave that person's name to HubPages to be referrer for her new account.  I'm still amazed that HubPages needed her to tell them - didn't they have a record??   Anyway, she happens to be a very successful Hubber so  losing that referral hurt!