Can I send a message to people I have referred to encourage them?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. SpaceShanty profile image91
    SpaceShantyposted 9 years ago

Looking at the people who I have referred to Hubpages not one of them has created any Hubs.  Would it be against HP TOS to send them an email through HP to encourage them?  I am not taking about simply spamming them but something along the lines of  "Hi, I see you signed up to Hubpages but have not created any Hubs yet, Hubpages is a great place to share your knowledge and maybe even make some money in the process, let me know if you need any advice on creating your first Hub (article).  Thanks, Chris"

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL - you aren't the first.  I've a dozen or so signups and only one wrote anything - 2 hubs in 4 years or some such.

But yes, if they allow it on the profile you may email them.  I did that, too, offering my help but never heard back.  Most signups seem to sign up thinking they must do so in order to leave a comment.

1. SpaceShanty profile image91
        SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think they have just signed up to leave a comment as I do get that a lot but they do not show up in my referrals.  I think most of my signups have come from where I promoted my aff. link.

I would like to encourage them but just don't want to get my account banned in the hope of making 10% of the pennies they earn!

If you have tried it and not had much success maybe I won't bother!

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi SS,

As others have mentioned, this is not against the rules, though I probably wouldn't expect a response. Just be sure that each note you send is unique. Sending several emails with the same text can trip our filters that identify spamming behavior.

But I think encouraging others to join and write on HubPages (especially using your tracker) is a great idea in general, and offering personalized help is very kind. smile

2. ThelmaC profile image93
    ThelmaCposted 9 years ago

I had the same thought as you about sending them a nice email like you mentioned.  I tried it but didn't have any response.  Oh well, it is worth a try.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I used to do that during the first few years of HubPages.  It can actually freak some users out because it wakes them up to the reality that they are your referral and they think you are spying on their account.  Watch out for that.

On the most part, you will find zero response.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

I had the same experience as others - tried emailing and never got any response.

Also as you may be aware, there has been one case of someone being really upset at discovering they were a referral from someone they don't get along with.   So sometimes it's better if they don't know!

Having said that, I think that would be a rare occurrence - and I'm regretting not having made my referrals aware of their status, because one of my referrals had to have her username changed due to stalking.   In the process, I lost her referral, because she thought she'd signed up under someone else and gave that person's name to HubPages to be referrer for her new account.  I'm still amazed that HubPages needed her to tell them - didn't they have a record??   Anyway, she happens to be a very successful Hubber so  losing that referral hurt!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)