jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

I might have Crossed the Line...

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 8 years ago

Hey all,

I've recently began to post some of my poetry throughout many Hubs. Since I have had strong reactions, I dug through my earlier stuff and made a Hub that attempts to break it down.

The problem is..I was seventeen when I wrote them. And as many teenagers do, I liberally used some profanity to highlight points. I thought about editing them, but I think personally it would destroy what they were.

So...if you could, please, look at this article here:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/lookaround1

And let me know if you think the artistic expression and my input to explain away what they were about are decent enough?

Or shall I just take it down?

Thank you for your help!

Sincerely,

G|M

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 8 years ago

Just want to think everyone who has given me good feedback.

I'll be keeping it up..and the second part is already there.

Be on the lookout for all y'alls Hubs..always feel free to ask me if you think I can help...

G|M

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 8 years ago

I was just to your hub.  IMHO, not by a long shot have you crossed the line, GM.  Nothing wrong with profanity, I always say, if used properly.

Have you read any Bukowski or Ginsberg?

GeneriqueMediaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks smile

Gingsberg rawks, not familiar with Bukowski. Gingsberg I got into because my favorite author was really influenced by him.

I liked his cut and paste methods sometimes..his drive to stretch boundaries.

4. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I hate to bring up this "materialistic" angle to art, and it depends on what you'd like to gain from HubPages; but I think there's the chance profanity could drive some advertisers away.  Maybe it's not something you care about, and maybe I'm incorrect about that (so maybe, too, someone else on here could comment from this angle?).  I'm only commenting from the idea that sometimes perfectly "within the line" art is one thing, while advertising-related matters are another.

Thats the crux, right? I have different hubs on different subjects--some are artistic, some are informative, and I'd like to think all are entertaining.

If an advertiser is driven away by the lack of seeing art as art, I'd rather not deal with them to begin with. However, I would never want to do harm to the HubPages community. Therefore, if it becomes a liability..I'm more than willing to take them down.

Besides that, I actually have every intention of taking them down come March 1st. I'm only showing them for poetry month. And I've read a lot of poetry and my style, while vile in some instances, needs to be seen. Its not often that anyone has the courage to show things to people--and its even less often those have the courage to share their darkest poems.

Sincerely,
      G|M

5. sunforged profile image74
    sunforgedposted 8 years ago

I wouldnt fret over it, if the almighty googlebot serves you ads, then your all set.

Profanity is so subjective anyway

Agreed sunforged, thanks. smile

Reminds me of Lenny Bruce...

BTW, here's the last set if anyone cares to see:

http://hubpages.com/hub/lookaround3

6. Research Analyst profile image77
    Research Analystposted 8 years ago

I guess this would fit in the creative writing category.

Yep. Just need a "teen angst" subcat. wink

Sincerely,

G|M

working