jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is this image free to use?

1. susi10 profile image94
    susi10posted 13 months ago

Just wondering if this image from Wikimedia Commons is free to use:

I'm assuming it is, right? Or do I have to go and ask Lush for permission to use the picture?

Thanks everyone!

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 months ago in reply to this

Indeed, the license says you must: "give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. "

In more detail you must: "You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and give the Original Author credit reasonable to the medium or means You are utilizing by conveying the name (or pseudonym if applicable) of the Original Author if supplied; the title of the Work if supplied; to the extent reasonably practicable, the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work"

This might look like: Photo credit-- Robin Zebrowski (linked to https://www.flickr.com/photos/firepile/), Happy Pill, CC BY 2.0 (linked to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/)

Whether the make of the product needs to give permission is a little squishier, but probably not.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
      LuisEGonzalezposted 13 months ago in reply to this

Yes you may use it here on HP. Just provide a link to the site (Flikr) under "source url", write the name of the author (Robin Zebrowski) under the "name of source" , and provide a link for the copyright under "caption"

"You are free to:

"Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
      Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
      for any purpose, even commercially.
      The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
      Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use." from Flikr's copyright license information for this particular image.

2. KarenHC profile image86
    KarenHCposted 13 months ago

Yes, as I understand it, you can use the image as long as you credit it as indicated in the Creative Commons license that is assigned to it (check the link to "Some rights reserved" under the image").

3. susi10 profile image94
    susi10posted 13 months ago

Thanks Karen, Luis and psycheskinner. I contacted Lush just to be sure, and they allowed it. I know the usual protocol on whether I can use an image, but someone threatened me to take down the image because I didn't get permission from Lush. So that's that sorted. Thanks again for all your help!