New Here - And Can't Figure Out Why Moderators Removed My Amazon Ads

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    rcmandevilleposted 8 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to HubPages and I have a featured article that is over 1600 words. I joined the external Amazon Affiliate program, and then I featured three books written by other people, all of which directly related to the subject I was writing about. Within a few hours, all three Amazon capsules were removed by Hubpages editors. I have written the hubpages team to ask why, but wonder if any of you might know here.

Thanks so much!

Rebecca

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

As I understand it, you can't just link to books that relate to your topic.  You must say that you linked to them and why they are the most appropriate ones and give examples.  Just linking loosely is not going to get it.  Also, if you have linked to three different books, that is probably two too many.  Why would you need to display three books about the same topic?  I'm pretty sure that's their thinking.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rebecca,

The rules vary on a case by case basis, but products should always be very minimal on an article that isn't geared toward sales. For example, if your Hub is about the "10 Best Books for Reconnecting with Your True Self" more products would be considered appropriate because your readers are presumably there to shop for books about this topic. But your Hub is not intended to sell but to detail your experience with a dysfunctional family and recovering yourself and to offer advice for others. Your readers aren't coming with the intention to shop, so if you include any products, make sure they are for the reader's benefit and that you explain why you are including them and what you liked about them personally. What was your experience reading those books and why did they help you reclaim your childhood and true self in a way you couldn't have without them? Why are you recommending them to your readers instead of other similar books on the same subject? Include as many details about your personal experience with the products as possible.

A good rule of thumb is: if the article is just as informative and helpful without the products, leave them out. Less is pretty much always best except in Hubs written with shopping in mind.

1. profile image0
        rcmandevilleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Christy,

NOW I understand. Thank you so much for your eloquent and thoughtful answer. I misunderstood, thinking that Hubpages WANTS us to use the Ad capsules. And that we should try to fit them in, as appropriate, and if connected directly to our article. But that is apparently not the case. They prefer you do not use the ad capsules at all, if possible, unless it is a 'sales' article. Am I hearing you correctly?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92

Yes, I guess that's a fairly accurate way to look at it, with the exception that products which are truly important to the reader's experience SHOULD be included. In other words, if there was a book that changed your outlook or that was deeply important to your personal journey of finding yourself, you should include that book in the article and talk more about your experience with it and how it helped you because it might be equally valuable to your readers. Hope that makes more sense!

Product Capsules are kind of a balancing act. It's good to offer items that are necessary or deeply helpful to the reader for accomplishing the task discussed in the Hub, but you must also be careful not to spam readers with products when they are really just looking for information.

1. profile image0

Got it. Because I am a licensed Psychotherapist, the books I included I know for a fact are enormously helpful to people who read them - my clients, and others. So this is why I was disappointed that they were snipped. But I also understand that we don't want our articles to look spammy. I am also grateful that my first hub was published and featured while I am still in boot camp, so I certainly do not want to appear to be complaining. However, I spent hours scanning the HubPages' learning links and tutorials and really never got a clear answer on this, and I seem to not be the only one, based on other forum discussions I have read.

If that's the case you should be able to include all 3 of the books as long as you discuss your experience with recommending each to your clients, how they helped, etc. smile

1. profile image0

Ah, that is the part I likely missed. I am actually impressed that human moderators read our work, even if it results in snipping. I do like the fact that there is quality control here. Thank you once again, Christy. I am so glad I posted my question here, because you and others on this thread have already given me such wonderful advice and ideas - I will surely benefit from it all.

My pleasure, and don't hesitate to post in the Forums if you have any more questions. Either I or experienced writers can usually be of help. smile

2. Will Apse profile image88
              Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

HP should have a look at their learning center and try to make it clear that Amazon ads should only be used in certain circumstances.

I know that when I started, I thought that using Amazon capsules was sort of mandatory. I also thought that the ads the capsules recommended when you used the 'search for keywords' feature were rock solid trustworthy, which they are not.

We do our best to offer general guidelines for product capsules in the Amazon Learning Center Entry.

1. Will Apse profile image88

That advice is a lot better than I remembered it.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
                    paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've been following this thread.

This is what a moderator's face looks like when they stumble across an Amazon ad (I have it from an inside source).
                    http://www.cdc.gov/features/dog-bite-prevention/dog-bite-prevention_456px.jpg
                    Simple as that.

And apparently they're even more brutal on the niche sites, http://hubpages.com/community/forum/135 … ost2802027

2. Jesse Drzal profile image92
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

Hard to say without seeing what you had, but from taking a quick gander at your musings there can't be many Amazon items that match the subject matter, other than books per se.

1. profile image0

Thanks for replying. Am I allowed to link here to my featured hub so you can see it? Yes, all three items were books that directly related to what I was writing about in the paragraphs (one book per paragraph. Paragraphs were spaced apart from each other). I am not affiliated with any of the authors in any way, so I am confused. I see people link books to their hub articles all the time here. Thanks again, Jesse.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
        Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You can link to your own Hubs in the forums, sure.

actually, no, you can't.  It is generally against the TOS to link to your hubs here because it is considered to be self promotional.  However, in certain circumstances you can, for example, when you ask for help with improving a hug.

Ok, only for QAP purposes then. Thank you for clarifying, T2

2. Jesse Drzal profile image92

Your best bet may be to drop Hubpages an email and ask for clarification.

1. profile image0

OK, I did do that today, hopefully they will reply. The hub in question is http://hubpages.com/health/chainfreeliving
          Thanks again!!

Ok wait a second. Do you have an Adsence account?

3. Jesse Drzal profile image92
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents 

Here is a link to the learning center, it's all laid out in here as for as earning money on the site, as well as creating content.

1. profile image0

I looked at that prior to doing the Earnings Program, but maybe I missed something. I thought if I was using an external Amazon affiliate (as I only have one hub) it was allowed. I guess I am confused. Oh well, I will try again when I have more content up. Best, Rebecca

I don't think you can just use an Amazon affiliate anymore. Perhaps someone else can chime in but I do not think so.

I think you can, but it pays about half as much as the HP Amazon thing.  I'd ask the team to clarify that, but I think most people use their personal affiliates on their own sites but the HP affiliate here simply because it's easier and it does pay much more.

4. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

Susana S suggested a simple way to assess a particular page's suitability for Amazon ads. Search Google for the keywords and see if there are any pages in the search results with Amazon ads.

If Google has worked out that a particular search term indicates a desire to buy something then you will soon notice the affiliate ads.

Pages really should meet readers needs rather than your own.

I'm using very little Amazon right now. Many do not have any.

1. Will Apse profile image88

If rcmandeville wants to use Amazon book ads a title like the 'The 10 Most Telling Books about Lost Childhood' would be a better bet.

It is a big subject and the phrase 'Lost Childhood' means different things to different people so there is plenty of scope.

You could cover everything from poor parenting (vast subject) to social pressures (vast subject).

I would never use Amazon ads on a page that gave no indication in the title that the page was aimed at people searching for something to buy.

I know that someone will turn up and say, 'I use them on my blog and it is no problem', but unsupported anecdotal evidence pales if you look at the way the vast majority of successful sites use affiliate ads. They are used in special categories, clearly labelled 'store' or 'product reviews' and visitors arrive looking for ads to click.

1. profile image0

I am really confused now, although I appreciate the discussion. I am new to hubpages and new to using ads. Again, the books I referenced are directly related to the content of my article on this hub page. It enhances the article to have them there, in my opinion. Is it best to directly cite the books if I am going to place these resources there? Also, the titles of the three books I included contain the word "True Self', so they were all directly related to my title. Meeting the readers needs is why I decided to start hubs here. I have no concerns about making money; I am simply annoyed because these very good book resources were removed.
          Thanks Again, Rebecca

2. profile image0

Will Apse, again, I am new here, and you have provided me with some wonderful suggestions and ideas, which I plan to implement very soon. Thank you so very much! -Rebecca

5. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 8 years ago

rcmandeville,

Yes, you can use Amazon as your sole source of income on HP. However, I recommend getting an AdSense account and adding the HP ad program, if possible.

The rules keep changing here at HP, but I believe this is the latest regarding Amazon products, from this Learning Center article: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/publ … standards:

"Remove any Amazon or eBay products that are not directly related to the content of your Hub (e.g. any products are not explicitly mentioned in your Hub's content)"

I think you will find success if you use only one or two Amazon products, and mention both of them specifically in your article as being helpful, interesting, important, etc. Also tell WHY. Then place the Amazon ad on the page near the text which specifically recommendeds the item.

I'm not sure if this is foolproof, but it just might work. If it doesn't work, whittle it down to one product and see if that helps.

1. profile image0

Thank you so much for this info'. I did put two back in, and they snipped one. However, the one they left in did specifically get mentioned in my text. So I will be sure to do that from now on. I have to say that overall I really like the community feeling here thus far, and I plan to stay. I'm sure things will get easier as I figure things out. It would be great if HP made a clear policy in writing around all this, with examples. Just sayin'. Best, Rebecca

2. profile image0

Also, I did apply for AdSense, but  I was rejected as I don't have enough content yet, which I understand. I will apply again later.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)