Working on Titles

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (29 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years ago

I am of those people who has a terrible time getting my titles right.  Recently, I've come up with a new strategy which has made it easier, and may help you guys, too.

I open my word processor
    I open the Google Keyword Tool
    and I open https://moz.com/blog/new-title-tag-guid … eview-tool which is a tool that Robin suggested I use to check title length.  I love it!

(PS  Can't seem to get the link to work here, but have put one in below that does.  Don't understand the problem, but that's the only fix I could work out.  Sorry.)

I go back into my titles and type words that bother me into the word processor and use the Thesaurus there to help me find the best possible word to use.  For example, today, instead of using the not quite right word "important", I found a much better one in "essential".

I then go to the keyword tool to check views and what advertisers will pay for that word.

If it looks good, I use it.  If not, I do it all again until I find the best match.

Then, I write my title and check it in the title tool to make sure it won't get truncated on the search pages.

If not, I'm done.  If so, I rework the title until it sounds conversational and also fits the search.

If you read the article in the l link it will explain why you should do this.  Personally, I think my titles are starting to look better, and I also feel they are helping my page views.

Just thought I'd share this.

1. Robie Benve profile image95
      Robie Benveposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Great tips! I need to start doing this, my views have been down about 50% in the last few weeks, more searchable titles can only help.
      I wonder if the same attention should be dedicated to the hub summary. Many times I write my summaries as after-thoughts, but they are probably pretty critical for search engines as well.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Summaries are extremely important, and you have to be careful about keyword stuffing with them or they can give you problems with Google.  I always write mine first and then go back to correct if the focus of an article changes.

2. Sam Montana profile image80
      Sam Montanaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Using a Thesaurus is a great idea. Titles can be the hardest part of article writing.

I get an error on Moz when I click on that link.

1. RonElFran profile image97
        RonElFranposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The link doesn't work because the trailing comma in the sentence was inadvertently included in the url, invalidating it. If you delete that last comma, the link works. I just click the link, then when the error page comes up, remove the comma in the browser url field and hit Enter.

https://moz.com/blog/new-title-tag-guid … eview-tool

How about this?  It's the direct copy of the URL from the site.  Don't know what happened before.  Sorry.

1. Sam Montana profile image80

I have been using this website to rate the titles I pick out, it has been very helpful with titles.

http://coschedule.com/headline-analyzer

That's a neat site.  Mine only makes sure that your wordage will not get truncated.  Thanks.

2. Solaras profile image95
              Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is a neat little site!  How do you reckon title changes using Coschedule have affected your pageviews?

I'm not sure yet, I haven't been using it that long. At the least, I have not seen a negative change and it makes me feel better when a new title has a better score.

3. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing!

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 8 years ago

I tried several of my titles on this site and they all came back as having the right number of words. The problem is having too many common words so I'm wracking my brains out trying new ones out and not having a lot of luck. I will try again.

Titles can be really hard to get just right. You probably scrolled down the web site to look at possible emotion and power words. Also use Thesaurus.com to get more ideas for different words.

Sam:  Gotta thank you for showing me this site.  I've been working on titles using it all day today and what a difference it is making!  Don't know if it will increase views, but it sure is nice to have more interesting and accurate titles on some of my hubs now.  Great job!

1. Will Apse profile image90
          Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just bear in mind that Moz is trying to survive in an online world that does not have much time for old style SEO manipulation these days. The site is desperate to remain relevant. A lot of what they are offering these days is marginally important, at best.

I wasn't aware of that, but what I do know is that my upgraded titles are so much better than my original ones.  I have always had a problem with this issue, and what they offer seems to be helping me.  Time will tell, I guess, but for now, I'm a happy camper!

If it is a way of stimulating thought, rather than replacing it, that sounds great.

I can't help pointing this out, though: it is worth reading the final para of every SEO article on Moz. It usually states out that the writer cannot be sure that anything said in the article is true, or that it might not be important, anyway.

SEO stuff is always speculative.

What it's doing is forcing me to think outside the box and come up with different ways of saying things to make the titles more detailed and interesting.  For example  RV Safety Tips become How to Protect Everybody in Your RV.  Much more reader friendly, I think.

'How to Protect Everyone in your RV' sounds a bit scary to me, lol. What are we talking about? Bears, mad ax men, dirty bombs?

'Safety tips' sounds prudent, non-alarmist and a bit dull.

How about 'Is your RV Safe? Ten Tips from a Pro...'

Or however many tips.

Provoke a little alarm. Offer to make it all better.

This article is not about how safe an RV is, it's about how safe the people in it are during travel.  Accidents, theft, illness, etc.  Totally different focus...thus the word "protect".

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

It's "How to Protect the Safety of Everyone in Your RV".  Didn't quite get it right...sorry.

2. Sam Montana profile image80

I should have mentioned to also click on the links in that website. It has some helpful hints about power words and emotion words and the best length for titles, etc.

3. Sam Montana profile image80

TT2, there is also another great title analyzer that I have been using... here:
          http://www.aminstitute.com/headline/

And the article that explains the score:
          http://coschedule.com/blog/emotional-headlines/

Thanks, Sam.  I am just amazed to see how much better my titles are, and I do think the new ones are boosting page views a bit.  What a great gift you gave me!

2. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestions...I have plugged in emotion words but I'm not having a lot of luck. I'll keep trying.

3. Alison Graham profile image95
    Alison Grahamposted 8 years ago

I don't know if this will be of any help to anyone, but I had some fun with it! Shane Melaugh did a blog post about 8 tools you can use to generate some fun titles. I thought it was really good and gave me a few ideas! https:// thrivethemes.com /8-headlines-tools (I put spaces in the URL to avoid providing a link)!

1. Robie Benve profile image95
      Robie Benveposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link. The Portent's Content Idea generator is brilliant! So much fun.

4. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 8 years ago

I honestly think that titles just need to be a clear reflection of the content of the article. You can try teaser headlines, if you like, on social media orientated, discussion articles but for info articles clarity is everything.

I don't reckon SEO approaches are a great option these days. Google is trying to eliminate all SEO trickery. Readers hate it, too.

Sometimes, a title change can really boost traffic but only by reaching readers more effectively.

HP recommend human-friendly titles with conversational subheadings which sounds about right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)