jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)

eBay Program Retirement

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
    Christy Kirwanposted 2 months ago

Today marks the first step toward HubPages retiring the eBay Program. Please visit today's blog post for the full details and timeline and feel free to post here if you have any questions.

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 2 months ago in reply to this

That is a shame, another loss of earnings but then I was probably one of the few who used it anyway.

2. Venkatachari M profile image84
      Venkatachari Mposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I don't feel sorry for it. I have only two products and I can willingly replace them with amazon ones.

3. Ashish Dadgaa profile image69
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for updates @Christy Kirwan

2. theraggededge profile image94
    theraggededgeposted 2 months ago

Probably a good thing.

3. robhampton profile image89
    robhamptonposted 2 months ago

This SUCKS! I wasn't "raking it in" by any means with the eBay capsule but it wasn't bad. I'll trust that hubpages.com will continue it's success from the launch of the niche sites. That was a very brilliant and successful move. The editors are great and hubpages possibly has the potential to be up next to wikapedia. The best articles are moved so it takes away the whole "content farm" scenario. When Google crawls, it seems to like what it sees on the niche sites. Keep it up HP! Great job

4. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 2 months ago

I've never used the eBay program so I'm fine with that, but I do feel bad for those who relied on it quite a bit.

However if it only represented a mere 0.2 percent in overall site earnings, then I agree that it's best to retire it because it serves little purpose. I'd rather the team work on the stuff that matters than something so minor.

5. Solaras profile image93
    Solarasposted 2 months ago

Would you HP staff consider affiliating with Sears.com. I think they are the 3rd largest marketplace and might be easier to maintain.

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 2 months ago

No loss to me: I haven't earned a penny from there in some months even though i still have a few capsules left. Just don't eliminate the Amazon capsules! smile

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 months ago in reply to this

We have no plans to get rid of Amazon. smile

7. lobobrandon profile image81
    lobobrandonposted 2 months ago

I just looked into how much I ever made via ebay. Well it's paid for a single domain name is what I can say big_smile

Definitely not surprised that it's being sacked. Anything that frees up wasted time for work on other features is a good move IMO smile

8. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 2 months ago

I eliminated all my eBay capsules a long time ago since it just wasn't worth using. I can see that from a management point of view it's also not worth it. So this is a good move. Amazon works very well when used appropriately, and that's a keeper.

9. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago

eBay continues to be a good earner for me on my own sites (though who knows how long that will last!), but the way we had to use them on HubPages meant they were never very effective.  Probably a good call.

1. Lipnancy profile image93
      Lipnancyposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Hey Melissa, Would you ever consider writing a hub on how to use then effectively on a blog. I would be interested in reading that. Just a thought.

10. alikhan3 profile image92
    alikhan3posted 2 months ago

That is a very good step indeed. I have never found eBay to be effective on hubs probably because it only showcased items that were being sold on bids on eBay, and not "Buy Now" items.

It had little chance to work in that scenario as very few relevant products fall in the bidding category.

11. TessSchlesinger profile image93
    TessSchlesingerposted 2 months ago

Never worked for me anyway. smile

12. earner profile image84
    earnerposted 2 months ago

Getting the right product to show up for me became tricky after it started only showing top sellers (and similar constraints).  Living in the UK it was hard enough to get to the point where the right product was available at all ... so being restricted only to top sellers meant that mostly the modules became increasingly redundant. 

I've done OK from ebay in the past 2.5 years since it became integrated with the Hubpages' system.  Over the years it's added up to the value of a cheap week's holiday in an 0-star rated caravan park.  smile

Amazon's tricky too - as specific books I want to refer to are .uk products, sometimes I'm lucky with the ISBN and sometimes not.  Looking at the Amazon income it's 1/3rd of the ebay stuff.

One less thing to fanny about with when writing hubs I guess - we used the be encouraged (aka 'forced') into using everything possible on a page; now we're being told to do the opposite. 

Actually, I just checked my Hubpages' Ad Programme for the same period and Amazon + eBay were probably about 30% of my income.