jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Tags--the more the merrier??

1. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

So I've noticed on some hubs there are a TON of tags. Is it better to have a lot of barely relevant tags or a few more to the point ones?

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Excessive or irrelevant tagging can get your Hub flagged so having lots of them isn't going to be of benefit.

2. 0

that's kind of what I thought too, but I see a lot of hubs with two columns of tags and it made me  wonder...

3. belief713 profile image79
    belief713posted 7 years ago

I'm still trying to figure this out. I've noticed some tags showing up in search engines, but others don't.

Anyone finding a difference with single or long tail tags?

4. 61
    badcompany99posted 7 years ago

I try to just put in tags relevant to my hub. Say if its about a heart attack I will use phrases like "symptons of a heart attack" " How do I know I am having a heart attack". Basically I imagine what I would type into google to read what I have just written, no point putting in a tag that is useless.

1. 0
      shreekrishnaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

well written ,
      i enjoyed it.

5. Justin Rhinehart profile image60
    Justin Rhinehartposted 7 years ago

I'm new to HubPages, but I like to think of myself as a grizzled blogging vet at the ripe old age of 19.  In my experience, the most effective way of tagging things is to use words that you really wish you could have used in your title (pertaining to the subject, of course.)

In my latest (see "first") post, I took my other title choices that I whittled away from and used the keywords in my tags before using words that are associated with my post.  I personally think that having a 2-ton bag of tags attached to your post makes it look like amateur-hour.  Not only is it a very amateur thing to do, but it's also a great way to get a nice little reprimand from the powers that be.

Moral of the Story: Keep it simple, stupid.

1. 0
      Janettaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Are you calling me stupid, Justin?? j/k...unless you are calling me stupid, then I'm not kidding at all.... smile

6. belief713 profile image79
    belief713posted 7 years ago

I found this last night - The Value of Tagging by HubPages
    Does that mean/are they saying more tags are better?

7. 0

Well, I read the article. kind of seems to be saying, a decent amount of tags (maybe ten to fifteen) is good. Varying from one word to short phrases.

I did find it ironic that the article itself only had two tags

1. belief713 profile image79
      belief713posted 7 years ago in reply to this

LOL - I didn't even notice that!