jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Soapboxie?

1. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 4 weeks ago

In a discussion on FB today I had occasion to post a link to a hub I wrote that was transferred to soapboxie some time ago.  It is a serious hub, on gun control, and I wanted to present the facts gathered there to the FB discussion.

The reaction from others was unexpected: "Soapboxie!?  What kind of place is that?"  "Soapboxie?  Who are you trying to kid?"  "Why would I go to a place called Soapboxie for anything?"

When the niche was created I thought it was given a rather nifty name, but now I'm not so sure.  The reactions were surprising, but a little reflection shows why; the name hardly promotes trust or belief.  It sounds like a kids game of some kind rather than a place with serious articles with hard facts to back them. 

Anyone else run into anything like this?

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
      LuisEGonzalezposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Try Feltmagnet!

wildernessposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I bet! big_smile

2. simplehappylife profile image86
    simplehappylifeposted 4 weeks ago

I haven't run into this, but I can see how one could.  I agree that the site names could be better.  I also think that the layouts should be different from one another....they all look like the same site sad  I think they should at least change the color scheme for each one.

3. quotations profile image91
    quotationsposted 4 weeks ago

I think the problem might be that the commenters do not not understand the allusion to soap box as "a box or crate used as a makeshift stand by a public speaker". I personally think that the name of the site nicely evokes the type of articles you would would expect to find there: basically opinions and editorials on various subjects.

I think you're right, which is what is (I think) giving rise to the response.  The hub I wrote was not intended as an opinion piece but rather a presentation of data and information with a conclusion based on that data.  But that's not what the "soapbox" image evokes - rather it brings forth the picture of a soapbox on a street corner with someone haranguing the crowd with personal opinions rather than factual information from respected sources that can be checked for veracity.

1. janshares profile image90
        jansharesposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I definitely see your point, wilderness. I recall this discussion during initial introduction of the site names. Your raw data about responses to the title is good information. But I wonder if anything can be changed at this juncture since they are attached to the URLs? Do millenials and younger even get the meaning of soapbox, ergo, Soapboxie?

I don't think much can be done except change the name or move the hub.  Neither of which is reasonable unless lots of hubbers are having the problem.

Have no idea of the age of those that responded on FB, but yes, they seemed to understand the reference.  Why else respond with such derision?  They aren't interested in someone preaching from a soapbox, and when that someone is a faceless voice on the net it can only be worse.  Or so it seems to me, anyway.

working