jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Updated Desktop Ad Layout

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 4 weeks ago

Today, we launched a new desktop ad layout.  It features a lazy load (ads don't load until they approach the view of the reader), no ads above the fold, but the 300X250 refreshes after 30 seconds and anchors in the sidebar. 

We'll see how this impacts user experience and revenues over the coming days!

1. Jesse Drzal profile image86
      Jesse Drzalposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Very exciting indeed!  Anything on the horizon as far as new mobile layouts?

2. Venkatachari M profile image84
      Venkatachari Mposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I hope it will improve the layout appearance and ad revenue.

3. TheHubFactory profile image84
      TheHubFactoryposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Thank you for doing this. I hate trying to visit sites that bombard me with ads the instant I land. This causes so much lag and often makes my laptop freeze up.

4. promisem profile image94
      promisemposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I had the impression that Google strongly favors active view, which works well with ads at the top of the page.

What are your thoughts about the impact on active view by putting all ads below the fold?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
        Paul Edmondsonposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

View through matters. Besides a better user experience, the ad is only shown to people that are viewing the page. The sidebar affixed helps with view through as well. We will see how come do over the next week.

1. promisem profile image94
          promisemposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

If the first full day was Wednesday, it didn't seem to change the CPMs or any of the audience metrics, at least for me. I'm crossing my fingers.

2. lobobrandon profile image82
    lobobrandonposted 4 weeks ago

Love it. I'm not bugged by ads on the sites anymore. Definitely going to be a better user experience. I like that the ad just reloads and they don't scroll like in the past for the new one to come on screen. The lazy load is a good idea too.

3. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 4 weeks ago

Sounds good! I've found that when I try to read any article where I'm bombarded by ads, I just close the article. It's really frustrating when it's something interesting I wanted to read. I don't know about most people but ads don't make me want to click on them. I want to read the story. So I'm glad to see this change, Paul. Thanks.

4. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 4 weeks ago

We are going to add one ad back to the top of the sidebar and hope that is still an improved user experience with better monetization.

1. janshares profile image91
      jansharesposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Cool. Let's hope so.

5. lindaspeaks profile image55
    lindaspeaksposted 3 weeks ago

Thank you very much. This is great information and a great help. This will be a great way for other people to read my articles.

working