jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Differece between niche sites and vertical sites

1. lambservant profile image92
    lambservantposted 3 months ago

I get notices often now informing me my hub has been selected for a vertical site. But I keep hearing the word niche too. Are they the same thing?

Also, those articles which don't go to vertical or niche sites, do they get less notice on google? If an article is strictly on HP, can we edit and resubmit it? My payouts and views have really amped up.m Not that I'm complaining.

1. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 3 months ago in reply to this

Hubs on niche sites tend to do better, traffic-wise. You can edit and resubmit Hubs to niche sites, yes.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Both refer to what we officially call the HubPages Network Sites. "Vertical sites" is just a bit more of a technical term that tells what the sites are, and chasmac does an excellent job of explaining what it means.

2. chasmac profile image99
    chasmacposted 3 months ago

Yes - the official name is "vertical sites" but most of us call them niche sites, which isn't strictly accurate as they're too broad in scope to be 'niche' - but we know what we mean.

lambservantposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Thanks Chas. How would you define a vertical site?

1. chasmac profile image99
        chasmacposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Vertical sites are far more focused on particular topics but still broad enough to allow many aspects of the topic. They should do better on search results than articles on HubPages do because search engines don't like sites with lots of different topics; they feel they don't have authority, while sites that focus on a particular topic are more credible in their eyes. That's why HubPages introduced their network of vertical sites and have been moving or accepting articles that are of high quality and more attractive to search engines.

So some of your articles have been moved to vertical sites? That's good. It means they're high quality. You can edit and polish all your hubs and submit them via the "Submit to Network Site" button, without waiting for HP to select them, but you can only submit one Hub every 14 days.

lambservantposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Chasmac, thank you, your answer is what I hoped to here.

3. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image88
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 3 months ago

Thanks chasmac for the information.

working