jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Flipboard exposure

1. Jesse Drzal profile image87
    Jesse Drzalposted 4 weeks ago

How are you guys getting Flipboard traffic? Do you construct your magazines and then that is pretty much it and just wait for people to find it? Any good promotion tips?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

Every time one of my articles gets moved to a niche site, I immediately post it to one of my magazines on Flipboard.  When time permits, I also add articles from other people to my magazines.

At first, I got tens of thousands of views very quickly, now I might get a handful each day.  However, those views add up and once in awhile, there's a little spike into the hundreds.

I have never tried to figure the site out,  I'm just happy to get what I get!

Jesse Drzalposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

That's great. Even those few hundred spikes are good too. It all adds up.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

I just checked my Flipboard views...since I started with it they've given me 25,240 views.  I think I've been using them for about a year.  Most of those views came in the first few weeks, though.

Jesse Drzalposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

You just post to your magazine once I assume? No additional sharing or promotion on your part?

Correct. I post and that's it.  I think the numbers would be better if they categorized the articles more efficiently, but they often miss the mark, which makes it hard for people to find my hubs.  This has been an ongoing problem with them that I have complained to them about, but they're still doing it.

Jesse Drzalposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

The travel/leisure topics must be a popular subject there. Of which you have one of those niches covered well with what you write. I'm thinking music possibly just doesn't too hot on there. That's why I was wondering if there was a possible share strategy there I wasn't privy too..oh well lol. Maybe something will catch fire. No big deal I'm doing well in other areas so I am not very concerned. Thanks for the input T2 appreciate that.

I would think music would be a big item, but of course the competition there will be stiff.  However, if you have a lot of experience in one particular area of the music field...which is broad indeed, I think you could do well.

Topics that come to mind right now?

How to string your own guitar?
              What is it like playing in clubs?
              Where are the best jobs for musicians?
              How to get started playing the................

Lots of area to cover if you know anything about the topic.  I should because my brother is a professional musician...but I don't.  He got all the talent!

2. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 weeks ago

I gave up tryin' to figure that site out a while ago.  At first, just about anything I posted there would blow up great guns, I'd get huge traffic on it for a day or two and then it would drop off the map completely.  I never figured out how to turn those short traffic bursts into a semi-consistent stream.

Then the last few things I "flipped" never even got that initial take-off bump, they keeled over and died like "pfft."  At that point I figured the Flippy powers that be must've gotten wise and changed their algorithms or whatever, so I bailed.

Jesse Drzalposted 4 weeks ago in reply to this

I can't figure it out either.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 weeks ago

Now that you got me thinking about Flipboard again I realized I still had their app on my cell phone, which I'd totally forgotten about... so I just "flipped" my last couple of niche-site Hubs on there just for the sheer hell of it, to see what happens (if anything). Now we play the waiting game, I guess (haha)....

1. FatFreddysCat profile image91
      FatFreddysCatposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

...aaaaannd as I somewhat morbidly expected, those last few "flips" have resulted in ... nada. Pffft.

Soooo...yeah, I give up. Oh well.  (shrugs)

4. Chriswillman90 profile image93
    Chriswillman90posted 4 weeks ago

I don't know how well things will fare if we keep flipping all of our articles on there. I'm sure they'll be some penalty eventually.

1. NateB11 profile image94
      NateB11posted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

+1

I think the key is to also flip articles from other people outside of HP, which is something I do every so often.

Actually, I like doing that because it gives me a place to save articles I would like to be able to refer to later.

working