Do Your Children Have Homework???

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have 3 kids, with two in elementary, grade 1 and 2.  They both bring home at least a half hour of homework everyday.  Needless to say, its not easy and sometimes it ends with all three of us crying, or screaming in frustration, while my 1 year old son is crying for his soother (which I'm trying to take away at the moment).

Anyways, after a particularly difficult night with my first grader, I finally told her that she can face the music with her teacher if she doesn't want to learn.  I can no longer fight with her about her homework, if she doesn't want to learn, I can't force her. 

But my real question is; is it normal to have so much homework at this age, and should I be worried about a defiant child and if she will forever be behind now because she doesn't do her homework properly?

sidenote:  both my girls attend school in their second language. They have no other option as their are no english schools where we live. 

Thanks for any info that may put my soul at ease,

Megs

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Hey Megs, this is a subject that most of us either have dealt with or are dealing with. I had 3 kids 4 years apart and dealt with homework ad nauseum every single day. Yes -- I do think that 1/2 hour of homework even for the young'uns is appropriate.

What I did to ease the tension was made it as fun as I possibly could. Since 1st grade, when my kids came home they marched immediately into the kitchen, sat at the breakfast bar and started homework while I fixed their after-school snacks (their fav things in the world). Their mind was still on school so it wasn't a big readjustment, they had to wait for the food anyway, and they got fed as they were doing their homework.

It grew to be a big routine with my kids and I never really had a problem. But I suspect that if I had waited until later in the day after they had played for a while, there would've been issues. And I also suspect that if I had not been completely consistent with the routine, there would've been issues.

megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats the same routine we use.  It can be really nice sometimes, but I feel that right now with my first grader, I can't do much more to make her do her homework other than let her embarrass herself in front of her teacher and classmates when she doesn't know whats going on so that maybe it will hurt her pride enough to motivate her to work harder.  I know its hard for her in her second language, but at the same time I know she's capable of it. But what is the limit?  My patience is already running out and its only the beginning of the school year.  God I hope this gets easier.  Thanks for responding Irohner!  Always helpful and much appreciated!

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Letting her embarrass herself won't help. Tried that with my youngest and it backfired bigtime. Is she in ESL classes? If not, maybe she needs extra help is English is a second language? But whatever you do and no matter how hard it gets, don't give up the routine and the praise.

English is their first language.  French is their second.  They do have extra classes called 'Francisation'(frenchifying, is what I call it).  It is about 30 minutes every cycle (9 days) that helps them with their grammar tenses and comprehension skills.  So far, I don't know how much it is helping.  My children are completely bilingual, but because they have to learn 2 words (one in french, and one in english) for every new word they learn, their vocabulary is not as advanced as their peers.  Of course, in time, they will be fine and will catch up, and be better for it, but its a difficult time for all of us.

3. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Ah homework! Well it seems homework comes at a younger age than I remember. We probably didn't do it technically correct but we weren't above bribery. We made it obvious that rewards come from hard work. As he got older we treated school work as his job and rewards were his pay. He responded well to that but he was also very competitive and wanted to be the best at everything. We did have to slow that down a little bit because he wasn't as gracious in defeat as we felt was polite. He also played sports and that was allways hinging on his grades but he was even more competitive on the playing fields. Some families found that alittle uncomfortable so his coach had a talk about being good losers, yikes! Our son was really mad after the coaches talk and we asked why and he said I don't want to be a good loser! Who wants to be good at losing? So we clarified sportsmanship vs loser and he cooled down alittle. I guess be flexible find what works and be prepared to change on the fly. As always, lots and lots of love.

Yes, lots and lots of love are mandatory, or how else would we get through these trying years? smile  Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it.  Always good to know that there are others out there who are living or have lived what I am going through now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)