jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Uploading pictures

1. lavenderstreak profile image60
    lavenderstreakposted 8 years ago

Hello all,
    I'm new to HubPages. I created a Hub and then picked some jpegs to upload as a batch (16 of them). I didn't resize them, I'm thinking now that I should have, they're each about 2MB and they've been uploading for about 4 hours now on a broadband connection. Seems like I should have gotten an error by now, but since I have another computer, I'm just letting it run it's course more out of curiosity at this point than anything else.

Does anyone know what might be going on? I'm thinking I should probably resize each of them to something smaller and try again.

2. lavenderstreak profile image60

To follow up, the images never did upload using the batch process, so I resized the images and loaded them one at a time.

They're there now!

3. thooghun profile image86
    thooghunposted 8 years ago

Glad that worked, I never use the batch method myself wink

4. caspar profile image83
    casparposted 8 years ago

I've never tried the batch method, or displaying pictures as a slide show - is it possible to slow them down?  When I click play, the pictures change before I have time to get a good look at them and read the caption (maybe I'm a slow reader). 

Great pictures by the way Lavenderstreak!

5. lavenderstreak profile image60

Thanks for the replies and appreciation! I just joined yesterday so still learning how this all works. I'm looking forward to adding more content and pictures. I didn't try batch after reducing the picture size, but I'll try it again and see what happens next time.

One thing I did notice in creating the slide show is that when I had a picture that had a higher height (i.e., verticallly aligned) than the rest of the horizontal pictures, the entire slide show adjusted to that height, so for all of the shorter (i.e., horizontally aligned) pictures there was lots of white space above and below the picture and the caption of the picture was pretty far down. This means that my pictures need to be pretty much the same size to work right in a slide show.

Anyway, like I said, I'm learning as I go.

6. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

That's true about sizing the pictures for slide shows.  As for the batch uploads, smaller picture sizes or smaller batches are more likely to work (you can always do several batches).  The more data that is being sent at once, the greater the chance for problems.

7. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 8 years ago

I always reduce my photos to about 640 res  - it makes no difference on the screen, means that people on dialup can still see them, and means that anyone who tries to print them off gets nothing worth having !