jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Fight the scrapers

1. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Ever since the docstoc event, Ive been implementing a small piece of text into all my hubs.

JoshuaSunforged ©2009 http//hubpages.com/hub/How-to-use-SheToldMe-com-Earn-from-your-backlinks (the url is of course changed for each hub)..i took out the ":" so it wouldnt be a live link in the forum

It wont stop anybody from stealing content, but lots of time this process is automated, a software "scrapes" all the text off the page...now, I can search for the unique term "JoshuaSunforged ©2009" and see if it posp up anywhere it shouldnt, the inclusion of the URL, is for teh really lazy thiefs, who may not even notice either giving me a back link or just making my anti-theft reactions that much easier.

You can make a copyright symbol yourself - by either copying and pasting it or using the keyboard combo of:

in html documents the code is

& # 169   (take out the spaces)

hope you never get scraped, but a little unique trackable code can be helpful

1. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i'm going to this on every hub now. i like it better than what i have been doing. it is unobtrusive and therefore, thieves won't spot it and we can find our hubs if they are copied. excellent idea! (and great hub too)

2. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

Good suggestion, I think I will apply that fancy bit of knowledge thanks

3. 0
    lynnechandlerposted 6 years ago

Thanks Sunforged!

4. Jeffrey Neal profile image87
    Jeffrey Nealposted 6 years ago

I've been lazy about it, but I really need to do this.  Not that anyone would want to steal any of my content...

Thanks, sunforged!

5. 0
    PJ_Deneenposted 6 years ago

This is great.  Thank you.  I only had two articles stolen from that sob at docstoc but would like to prevent this as much as I can for the future.

6. 0
    Janettaposted 6 years ago

Excellent suggestion! And I always wondered how to make that little symbol... smile

7. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

Thanks, never could find that symbol. I've been writing copyright by Jane@CM on my hubs.