jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Hub Length

1. 0
    treseroposted 8 years ago

I have been wondering what the average length of hubs (decent scoring say 80+) is. I have a thing about not writing less than about 800 words, but many are 1200 - 1500.

Of course this makes less hubs for me, but I hope content wise they are better than superficial glossing over.

Am I being penalized for having less, but longer hubs?

I also, tend to start a hub when an idea hits, then go back in a day or two to finish. Otherwise I forget to write about it.

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Why did you think you were being penalized? I checked your hubs, and you seem to be doing pretty good - and your own hubscore shows this, too smile

Nice hubs, by the way, I became your fan on the spot wink

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

HubPages will penalize for "low quality" (those Hubs that are just a paragraph), and they require that Featured Hubs be quite long.  So if you think that longer hubs are somehow penalized, I have to disagree.

4. 0

I don't think I am being penalized per se, but I notice a lot of hubbers with hundreds of hubs and I think that helps with their overall scores as one low ranked hub score doesn't have as much effect.

I am more curious than anything. I also have some hubs ideas which are very specific and probably won't get a lot of traffic, so I am just trying to figure out what I should do with those.

5. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Well, providing your hubs do not break any rules and therefore do not have any penalties applied, their hubscore depends mostly on traffic and on traffic dynamics. All the rest is almost irrelevant...

6. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

I think a better hub is produced by writing about what you really know and have personal interest in, versus a Hub that you think might get good traffic. 

Also, tresero, you've only been here for six weeks.  Are you comparing yourself to people who've been building Hubs for over a year?  Keep building Hubs on things you love and see where you are a year from now.  You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

7. chantelg4 profile image80
    chantelg4posted 8 years ago

I haven't been here very long, but I have noticed that the lenght isn't always a determining factor. I have an unpublished hub that is already ranking a 79 and I only have about 800 words.  I test my hubs first and let it sit, then I adjust, rewrite and add stuff. That's because I am a slow writer, one a week if I am lucky.  Hubpages works with their own algorhythms, just like google. For seasoned hubbers, they know more what works and what doesn't, we just have to learn as we go.

8. 0

Thanks for the info, I was curious more than anything.