another hub author score

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Janet21 profile image79
    Janet21posted 14 years ago

My title should have read another hub author score question . smile

I have noticed this hubber that puts up a lot of hubs, however, they are all very short, most less than 100-200 words.  The type of hub that can be put up in less than 15 mintues. And, the majority of their individual hub scores are in the 50-60 range (a handful in the 70-80's).  Yet, they consistently have a hub author score of 96-97.  I know there is a lot of factors that determine your hub author score, but this particular hubber's author score seems high based on the quality of their hubs.  They may participate in the community a lot, I don't know.  Or, maybe the more hubs you create, the better?  Even if they are low in content.  This puzzles me.

1. marisuewrites profile image57
      marisuewritesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Janet, welcome to the club, I wish the HubStaff would give more detailed information as to what affects the Hub Scores.  It doesn't seem to be consistent at all...I work hard on my hubs and rarely get above a 98 total hub author score...I don't dwell on it, but I would like to understand...

Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I spend a lot of time on mine, too.  I have always been a firm believer in quality over quantity.  I realize our scores are not as important as how much traffic our hubs are getting and how much money were are earning. (that is if you are here to make money.  I realize some are here just to write).   I will take a lower hub author score and higher earnings over a higher hub author score and lower earnings any day.  And, I can't imagine that the hubs of the hubber I am referring to here is making much money with their hubs since there is so little content. Of course, I don't know their stats, so I could be wrong.

On a side note, I am not as active in the community as others are here, so I know that affects my score.

2. Kudlit profile image63
    Kudlitposted 14 years ago

I'm probably one of those guys. I have an author score of 96 currently but my best hub rarely stays at the 90 level. What I know is that my hubs are ranking in the search engines for the keyword phrases that I'm targeting.

When I first publish a hub, it goes down at first and slowly rises. Some of my hubs go as low as 46 but they rise eventually.

3. Janet21 profile image79

Kudlit, I wasn't referring to you!  Your hubs have content.  Plus, a 90 hub score is difficult to achieve anyway, but most of yours are in the 70-80's.  I also notice you are active in the community, so a 96 seems right for you. smile

4. Profmaggy profile image61
    Profmaggyposted 14 years ago

I believe in quality over quantity.
    I write about what I do professionally so I am always conscious that my students, readers, and business colleagues are reading every word.
    I don't treat hubbing as a game, but perhaps others have the competitive urge to keep beating their (and others) latest score.
    My aim is to help people through what I write.

Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't treat hubbing as a game either.  For me, it is part of my job and contributes to my monthly online earnings.  And, since scores have an impact on how often your hubs/profile are displayed on Hubpages, it is something I like to take a look at now and again.  Per Paul,  "The higher your scores, the more and better links from within HubPages your profile and hubs are going to get -- which is likely to mean more search (and other) traffic."

@Herald Daily, thanks for the link. 

Publishing quality Hubs
      Commenting on Hubs from other authors
      Making requests in the Request section
      Answering requests from other authors
      Actively participating in the HubPages Forums

Since they do not disclose how much weight each of the above factors carries, it is still a guess.  I suppose it is possible that you can churn out lots of low content hubs, yet be overly active in the community and still get a high author score.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You suppose?  From what I just read, you've outlined very clearly exactly how a person generating middling content can have a high author score.

5. Herald Daily profile image60
    Herald Dailyposted 14 years ago

Here ya go!

The Secrets of HubScore and HubRank

Guess it's not a secret anymore. smile

The topic has also been discussed in numerous forum threads.

Hope this helps demystify things.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes Ive wondered the very same things
      Participating in Forums (while fun) shouldnt be reflected in over-all score ,then again dont think that determines earning ability so no biggy ( good to have some light relief)
      To be honest I thought blogging was much easier ,you know write then post ,but theres all those fiddly bits ,analytics, traffic,
      url's ,codes ( goodness knows what Ive copied an pasted too)..or where its ended up.
      Just when I think I get something , it seems I didnt lol

2. profile image0
      iamqweenbeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the link. It was very helpful.

6. Everyday Miracles profile image84
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

Janet,

I'm one of those lucky ones who has hit 100. I worked my tail end off to get to that point have discovered that the algorithm is so screwy that I don't understand it at all. Some days I literally sit back and watch my hub rank climb. I don't post on the forums, edit previous hubs or post anything new. What I *do* is comment on other hubs. I read more. I wander around Hubpages and spend my time spreading a little bit of hublove. Then, some time in the end of the evening when I'm floating at 99, I publish a new hub.

I can't say for sure, but I do think that there is something to the frequency with which you publish a hub and/or the quantity of hubs that you have. I have fifty now and will soon have 51. I'm not rushing (any more) and I really do work very hard on each individual hub. My best hub has hit 100 on one occasion and usually sits is the nineties. I really did think this made a difference. My average hub score is 76 these days (and goes up depending on how many high quality hubs I have published).

All in all though, I don't have any more clue than you do and have noticed that there are some people here who's hubs I *love* who never seem to make it over 95 and others who don't seem as strong reach higher.

I guess it's complicated!

What kind of external promotion are you doing? Relying on hubber score works if it remains high all the time (first five pages or so) but if you're struggling with your hubber score I would probably do external promotions. I think your hubs are great!

7. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Jeeez you are all crazy, if your hubscore is above 90 and you just keep posting hubs that attract good adsense ads you just sit back and wait a year until it really accumulates. My hubscore means jack shit to me but what means more to me is whether the google ads relate to my hub.

Good thinking ,had forgotten how relevant that can be.
      My first hub ( Long Distance Relationships) saw Google put up a Muslim Dating Site , I just assumed it would be English speaking etc.
      Can we suggest advertisements?

1. profile image49
        ladyvenusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have not published a lot of hubs since I'm also busy working in the private school.

Last week I got frustrated because my Author score started falling from 95 to 94 the 93 then 91 then 90 to 89 then 88.

Those times, I was just studying what will happen to my adsense earning, and I found out that even if I  had only an Author score of 88 I had high adsense earnings, than when I had at author score of 95, and  90.

My analysis to this is, publishing a lot of unquality hubs doesn't really count. I believed in quality than quantity  hubs. But of course as time goes by you'll get an accumulated quality hubs.

I'm just wondering if those hubbers with less than five hubs in the rank of Author score 90 up is earning well in adsense . If there are please tell us if its ok.

For now I will be observing again my rating because I'll be away in hubpages for  3 days. I think that would be on may 14 to 16. I'll see what will happen to my Author
        score if it drops or be maintained. And also if my adsense earning will drop, increase or be maintained also.

8. Everyday Miracles profile image84
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

badco, speaking from the top I can tell you: it makes a difference. You'll get more traffic and more traffic means more clicks. I should be getting my first check within the next two months.

You're right, if it's over 90 you're doing fine. But if you're over 98 you're going to drive more traffic to your profile and therefore to your hubs wink

9. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

We all prosper here, when the hubpages community stays strong and continues to attract traffic and new hubbers. Because that's how hubber command central makes their $$$. So I bet that's what the hubscore algo reflects.

I really don't spend a lot of time worrying about other peoples' hubscore. Because you have no idea of the offsite promos that hubber is running. You don't know how many backlinks they've generated for that "simple site." How many blogs they have cooking. None of the programs that you can use to look at a webpage's backlnks are that accurate.

You also don't know how much traffic they generate for the hubpages community through the search engines. Or how many hubbers they brought in through referrals. I would think that would affect a hubscore as well.

10. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Fair point but more traffic doesnt mean more clicks if your adsense ads are not related which recently I have been annoyed about because google seem to be throwing out crazy ads. Well done if you are going to get a cheque in two months, that is great work !

11. profile image0

Badcompany remember that google recently changed the way ads are served to visitors. It's based on their web surfing history. (That's why folks with websites who use adsense had to change their privacy policy.) So there's a good chance that you aren't going to see the same ads that your visitors see.

1. profile image50
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that, cheers for letting me know.

12. Jen's Solitude profile image86
    Jen's Solitudeposted 14 years ago

This is such an informative topic. All the things I have been wondering about have been addressed. Why even some things that hadn't come to mind were explained. Thank you all for taking the time to post your thoughts.

13. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

This hub score thing can become an obsession. Its like being back at school. Everyone wants to be the best in the class. But here the teacher won't tell you the rules. Cruel robot...

14. Janet21 profile image79

All very good points.  The bottom line is that it would be comforting to know that quality written hubs that bring in good se traffic are appreciated here and scored accordingly.  When I see a hubber churning out hubs that are less than 100 words that I could write in 5 minutes and they consistently have an author score of 97, I wonder.  But, Nelle, you are right, without all of the info/stats, you really can't analyze other hubbers scores since you don't know the whole story.

15. profile image0

It's probably good that we don't know the algo. It would be like kids in school focusing on the test instead of learning.

As long as you personally are getting what you want out of hubpages, that's the important thing. And Janet21, why don't you make a few shorter hubs and see if that does bring your score up? Might be fun for you to find out?

16. kephrira profile image61
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

I've written quite a few hubs that I've taken time over and thought were good. A lot of them get a reasonably good amount of traffic - I'm getting about 400 views per day in total at the moment. But I've always had a fairly low author hubscore and the best hubranks I get hardly ever go over 90 - even for hubs that are the top of their category. I wish I knew why I get such low rankings.

17. AsherKade profile image59
    AsherKadeposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure if my score was ever right. I have mid 80's profile score, I get a lot of traffic, I have a good solid fan base and clicks,I also have a lot of hubs with quality(takes me forever to research that stuff) and should be a mid 90's with all that in mind. Plus, my profile stat show only one spike and flat line all other days, not accurate by far....

1. kephrira profile image61
      kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Looks like your up to 90 now, so thats an improvement!

1. AsherKade profile image59
        AsherKadeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm shocked too...wonder how long it will stay that ay...

18. Netperking profile image60
    Netperkingposted 14 years ago

I have been wondering about this too... the score can become an obsession I guess!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)