jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Your Most Embarrassing Career Boo-Boo

1. ZEV profile image61
    ZEVposted 8 years ago

When I first started my career as a professional counselor I was doing adult mental health case management. I received a call one day by the home where one of my schizophrenic clients lived asking me to come and assess her for possible admittance to the psychiatric ward. When I got there she was displaying all the classic signs such as paranoia, hearing voices and the like. Just being out of college I knew all the psychiatric terminology for discussing and explaining her behavior with her psychiatrist. But when I called him to discuss the matter he asked right away how she was acting. With a tone of authority in my voice I replied that she was acting GOOFY. To save what little dignity I had left, I quickly asked, "Doctor, do you know what GOOFY is?" Trying hard not to laugh he replied that he did and I should take her to the hospital. I would love to hear some of your career faux pas.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years ago

My supervising psychologist that I worked with for some time simply called patients with symptoms "crazy" and never felt any embarassment for it. He did throw fits when patients ever mentioned "deep depression" - ala "There's NO such thing!"

1. ZEV profile image61
      ZEVposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Now I would say that he was the Goofy one.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years ago

Yes - I don't think "crazy" is in the DSM's, any edition...

working