What do you do when you think someone is in the house?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (50 posts)
  1. dogluver1 profile image59
    dogluver1posted 14 years ago

I'll twist this into a poll. Here are the options:
                1. get a metal bat
                2. call 9-1-1
                3. check it out

Ok my answer is number 2, call 9-1-1. What about you guys?

1. Tom Cornett profile image79
      Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rack the shotgun....then...No. 3  smile

dogluver1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile lol

2. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Introduce myself and say, "Hi."

lol

2. Pandoras Box profile image59
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL. Ask them if they want to talk about it? How they feel? What their childhood was like? lol

Good luck with that.

3. trooper22 profile image60
      trooper22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was trained extensively in Close Quaters Combat, so my choices may seem surprising to some, especially gun owners. 

Day light hours...Grab something short and sharp and become a hole in space around a corner, the idiot came into my house either not knowing I am home or he's after me.  Letting him know where I am is definately not in my favor...NO Noise!

Night Hours...Same as above, but now I can look for him.  If better weapon options become available during the search, I'd take advantage.  I would NEVER EVER chose a gun in CQB in this situation, I can disarm, maim, and worse far faster than the invader can draw a bead and fire...Surprise is on my side.

Last I would call 911 to have them clean up the mess.

1. Alya rose profile image60
        Alya roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol,sneaky sneaky,love it.

2. dogluver1 profile image59

good plan

4. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm thinking that you mean someone in the house who's not supposed to be there...correct?
      If I'm correct, where am I?
      If I'm outside, 911.
      If I'm inside, my S&W .45 calibre, stainless steel semi-automatic has 1 in the chamber, is off safety and will without compunction, do my bidding.
      My training has taught me to shoot to kill.
      The middle of the chest will do fine especially with hollow point "glaziers" loaded with tiny shards of glass.
      The "unwanted" WILL meet his/her maker!

good plans... lol

very good plans!all I know is martial arts,but you can shoot!!I'm sure in this situation it'd be very handy.

2. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

it's most likely someone I know!

Really? They just walk in? lol

1. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yup.  and I just walk into my ex's & ex mother in laws house too.   they are both disabled and would really rather not have to get up to open the door!

I see

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Shoot first ask questions later!

lol

4. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

1 and 3 could be the same thing unless you're just planning to sit there with a bat waiting.  I pick 4.  I'd do all of the above probably.  It really depends on the time of day or night, and whether I think there is any possible reasonable explanation, and what kind of noise made me realize it.  Breaking glass is not good.

Breaking glass is definitly not good lol

5. Alya rose profile image60
    Alya roseposted 14 years ago

Get two butcher knifes then number three,no one gets near my family.

brave and couragous you guys are lol

6. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

Get my gun and check it out. I wouldn't bother 911 unless I was pretty darned sure, and that would be after I got my gun and secured my children.

I'm not much into waiting around for the police to come save me. Besides which I live in a rural area. Plus I have four cats and a dog who tend to make alot of noise in our creaky house. It could also be one of the children getting some water or something.

I've been mobbed and robbed, all the police can do is take a report. I use a gun now. I have children to protect, and I damned well will.

1. resspenser profile image71
      resspenserposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for you.

2. dogluver1 profile image59

Yeah, no offense to police, but, usually they are not there when ya need em'. Also like I said brave and couragous lol

3. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't have kids in the house anymore but I know from experience that response time in my area is sketchy at best. I have my gun by my bed and if something disturbs me yep I'm gonna stand at the top of the stairs listening to identify what it was, if someone is in the house they are being fired upon because there is no reason for them to be there other than harm to me or my home.

I was instructed by the local sheriff that it is better to shoot them in the house than outside and if they crawl outside to drag their butts back in because the local magistrate will be more lenient with you if they were already inside.

4. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pandora:
      HI 5!!!!!!   :-)

7. Alya rose profile image60

Pandoras box I can't agree with you more.

8. Alya rose profile image60

Right Dogluver1 and the operators are just infuriating you have to take your time and explain exactly what's happening and who's hurt and how bad and where before they do anything,and by then someonecould be dead.

But sometimes they pull through and get there for the people but, not every time ya know?

I only know too well dogluver.May I ask what inspired you to write this post?

Believe it or not, I thought I heard someone open my living room door (slide door) and slide it back, but it was just rain and wind lol scared the hell out of me though!

9. mod2vint profile image60
    mod2vintposted 14 years ago

The older you get the more you realize what could happen. I would exit the house then call 911 wink

smile

10. Alya rose profile image60

Dogluver if that happened to me and I was alone I would have pulled something from running so fast(lol)I'm only brave when I have someone to protect.

Another "believe it or not" I ran too! lol

haha!I don't blame you!

11. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

My next door neighbour has alot of experience at this sort of situation; so I asked her......

She told me what works best for her... She said she usually takes her teeth out, reaches for the gin bottle and then stalks the intruder through the house with an invitation to party! yikes

I always wondered why she has permanent Garage Sale signs attached to her front door? hmm

:\

hmm

1. Pearldiver profile image67
          Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. trooper22 profile image60
      trooper22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ROFL!!!!

12. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

An effective yet safe technique is to purchase a starter pistol and blanks. If you hear a noise, don't say anything -- just take out the pistol and fire one shot.
    If it's a bad guy, he'll leave quickly. If it's a friendly, he/she'll not end up dead.

13. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

I am not sure what I would do if someone tried to break in while I was home. I used to have a 125 pound white sheppard but I had to put her down in December. Feeling safe was easy and taken for granted then.
    I do however always leave a $20 on the entry table. I can see it from the door. If it were to not be there before I unlock the door - I would not enter for sure. Holly

1. profile image0
      Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty clever. Smart lady. smile

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile I was told this by a thief. He said a thief may pass up a buck or two but never a $20. And to place it where you can see it before you go inside.
        He also told me to always walk up to my car from behind. If it has been messed with or someone is in it - just keep on walking!
        Holly

2. Alya rose profile image60

Yeah like leaving tape on the outside crack of the door to see if it's already been opened

3. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bet when you were young you used to tie a dollar note on the end of a fishing line and try to trap people that way hmm

Just when they reach for the money.... you wind fast lol

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ewww - I would never touch a fishing line!

2. Alya rose profile image60

LOL!!!haha I honestly did try that once but I only used string I didn't have a fishing rod and it was red so it didn't work out too well,lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)