Got Pagerank, then nothing

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. jcwin228 profile image59
    jcwin228posted 14 years ago

So, I've got this hub I've put a lot of effort into and had high hopes for. It's my first real keyword hub.

I did what was for me, a lot of link building in order to get a higher pagerank to get a good Search Engine Ranking Position.

A few days ago, and less than two months old, it finally got ranked at PR3, which was exactly what I was hoping for and then...nothing. Traffic has droped off to nill and my hub is nowhere to be found in the google search for that keyword.

What happened? What do I do now?

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing, except work on more hubs. ALL pages get a google slap at some point and is usually temporary. Just continue doing what you do because if you obsess over one hub you'll never make any progress.

1. romper20 profile image84
        romper20posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very true, google tends to ship you off whether its inconsistent or just plain google slapping.

True Richard haha

2. spirituality profile image56
      spiritualityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with previous contributions: make more hubs in that niche. Interlink them. Get them links too.

Without information on how many backlinks you gave that hub, it's not easy to find out if you overdid it. More than 50 (ballpark figure) at once and then nothing is probably overdoing it. Better to have 9 the first month, 11 the second, 8 the next etc. (not precisely 10 a month: that's too forced a signal).

Also important: patience.

Toolbar PR is something I never look at. It has virtually no meaning. The only advantage to having google pagerank is the certainty of the hub staying in the index, but since google is pretty good about hubpages being indexed anyhow, that's not really an issue here.

1. suny51 profile image60
        suny51posted 13 years agoin reply to this

how do we interlink hubs we have written ,aren't  they interlinked by default,as one reads a hub he finds a link"read more hubs of......" .isn't it  enough?
        please let me know.

3. profile image53
      blackhat toolsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Part of Google's dance I suppose.  Add a few widgets.  Post a blurb.  Post a different article and use some more of your keywords.  Ping every 10 hours.  Post something on ehow or aboutus and link it to your Hub.  Ping those urls.  Don't.....lose that Hub....  it should come back unless you have been banned.

2. jcwin228 profile image59
    jcwin228posted 14 years ago

Thanks richard, you're one of my mentors

3. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

Could be you over optimized, to many links to quick. It could be there are other pages on HubPages deemed more relevant for the term you are targeting. Search engines will only show a maximum of two pages for a given query from any website.

PageRank in itself has no bearing on rankings and Google will only slap you if you have been naughty; linking out to bad neighborhoods, keyword stuffing...

To find out if you are being crowded out the results by more relevant hubs use this query in Google

your keyphrase site:hubpages.com

You will need to be in the first two results returned by this search to be included in Google SERPs.

Forget about PageRank when linking and link for relevance (both inbound and outbound links) A relevant link would be link that a reader of your page or the page that links to you would find relevant and would be tempted to click on. Linking for relevance is a much more effective SEO tactic than linking for search engines and PageRank.

1. MyWebs profile image79
      MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Excellent advice.

I worry about getting too many links too fast so I only do a little bit at a time and spread it out so it appears more natural to the search engines.

2. profile image53

Peter is so right here.  However, remember that 10 links that are PR5 to PR8 are just as good as 1,000 links.

4. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 14 years ago

PageRank and SERPs aren't directly related to each other.

1. profile image53

Page Rank and SERPS are different, however they are somewhat connected.  Without going into details, what I want to say is that good SERPS in part the result of a website with a good PR.   But there are many ways of getting good SERPs and it does not have to all depend on your website.  Other Web 2.0 properties can give you great SERPs.  Of course, you would put a link on those properties going back to your website.

5. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

Hubpages can take a long time to do well. It's best to keep on writing and see how they are doing a few months down the line.

1. profile image53

You need to put polls, pics and video on your Hubs to make look better.  Add a bit of content every few days.  Ping them and run an RSS feed on them.  Ping that RSS feed too.  I have many Hubpages with a PR3 after 2 months.

6. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 14 years ago

Can I just jump on and say thanks to Pete for the tip about Google only showing top 2 results from hubpages. I've just used it to look at my hubs - now I'm off for a cry and to eat lots of chocolate. I will also try to keep in mind Will's advice and be patient. Thanks again.

7. aksana777 profile image61
    aksana777posted 13 years ago

I suppose your hub is over optimized. PR is not very important, but quality of backlinks is important.

8. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Who is Blackhat Tools?

To the original poster. I think the major point being ignored here is what was the keyword?

Competitive niches take a LOT of effort to break in to, you might have simply picked a niche word which has several huge companies employing teams of people to cover.

While it is rare to come across terms which are competitive to the extreme, it is not unlikely that you have done some great backlinking efforts, but simply been overwhelmed by other webmasters who have done just a little bit more than you!

9. Business Info profile image61
    Business Infoposted 13 years ago

I personally would completely ignore the Google toolbar PR reading it is as good as meaningless on internal pages of a site these days.

it comes, it goes, and generally the traffic and rankings are entirely unaffected by any Google toolbar shenanigins.

if you are saying that it isnt receiving Google traffic anymore I will guarantee you that has nothing to do with whether it shows PR3 or not.

Google often drops certain pages randomly from their index, try searching for the page using

site:www.hubpages.com/hubs/my-url

if it isnt in the index don't worry, it will be back if has decent external links pointed at it.

if it is in the Google index but not ranking any more that could be a little more complicated but is still not the end of the world, push on, you can likely rescue it with internal links from Hubpages and more external links.

10. gqgirl profile image66
    gqgirlposted 13 years ago

Mine have done the same. When I first started hubbing I was so excited to see them ranked high in the search results then poof the next day gone. I've gained tons more traffic with the more hubs I write. Keep it up and you will get there smile

11. mymagicview profile image63
    mymagicviewposted 13 years ago

Exactly the same problem with my one hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)