A simple idea to solve the 'Rating Down Problem'.......

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I should point out immediately that I have never been one to worry about this, or get paranoid about this, in fact most of my hubs are doing just splendid. I am also only concerned about the amount of search engine traffic I get, and my hubscores do not always reflect the great SERP achievements of my popular hubs...

However...... I have noticed that there does seem to be a few people who are very unhappy with the potential abuse of this feature, to be more specific they are convinced that there are other hubbers who are rating them down regularly.... (and I'm sure that on occassion those worries are well founded, I was once a victim of a 'click attack' on here)...

There could well be a simple solution to this however.... and that is for the up and down system to log each IP - much the same way as the polls. You can only vote once in each poll on a hub, perhaps you should only be allowed to rate 'up' or 'down' once for each hub?

Maybe it is already like this, but I am pretty certain it is not. This would ensure that one individual is unable to have an extremely negative - or indeed positive - effect on a hubscore.

One IP, one chance to give your opinion on a hub. If 2 people visit a hub, and one presses 'UP' one time, and the other presses 'DOWN' five times, equal weight should be given to each.

If your attacker subsequently decides to visit numerous of your pages, to rate 'DOWN' once on each, at least you are getting a traffic increase to help counter any decline in scores....

Possibly a simply solution to a simple problem? I would prefer this to any radical overhaul of the system, I certainly don't wish to know the IP address of each of my raters - they can continue to love me or hate me anonymously....

A few opinions would be great...

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is already like this.  There was a thread started by Cosette where Paul addressed the issue, and she was happy with the outcome.

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

I think HP responded to this in issue in another forum thread. The rate up\down system is regulated though I do not know how. HP can tell if the system is being abused and the overall effect on the hub because of being rated up or down is very minimal.

3. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

I am with Ryan, its search engine results that count. But it might be an idea to only allow those who are prepared to take the time to comment the right to rate a hub up or down. And you could also add the ability to vote up or down comments so those who add helpful and useful comments are rewarded in some way. (they probably are but this could be a nice little bonus)

4. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

I agree.

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Having insomnia Ryan? wink

Oh, btw, I normally change IP at least twice a day smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

misha, that sounds rather self-incriminating. lol

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Ryan,Im pretty sure this is pretty much how the rating system works - hubstaff did take the time to explain how little of an effect rating up/down has and some sort of safeguard that only allows each user account or ip to actually register a vote per hub.

I think it was in a thread responding to cosette?

7. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

If it has such a little effect on a hub score, why not just do away with it altogether? Why is it even needed?
    We the writers do not see the results and since it is such a topic of discussion in the negative sense...I would rather not have it on my hubs.

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

because people like to click things - ever play the video crack at the bar..uhh poker games

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, I know which games you speak of, but...No! I never play those.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good idea not too! Especially after all the computer woes! I am still waiting for a tech to answer my forum question, does farmville kill laptops? smile

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

As I understand it, hubpages can spot abuse of the system, and it does not carry much weight in the over-all algorithms anyway.
    Many sites, hubs, blogs, webpages or social bookmarkers allow a thumbs up but no thumbs down. I feel confident that hubpages is on top of this one or they would remove the thumbs down. smile

10. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Sounds like a great idea that possibly HubPages already took care of yikes

11. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Like Ohma and sunforged already said, that's how it works. I believe it even says somewhere that the up and down buttons are monitored per unique click.

12. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

Nevertheless, I think the rating thing could be abolished since it has hardly any effect on Hub Scores, and we never get to know about these ratings on our Hubs anyway. What's the point of it?
    I'm pretty sure I rate a lot of Hubs up at least twice -- I tend to forget whether I did or didn't, so I go back and do it just to be sure. Ryan's idea would be good to prevent that, too.
    But, as I say, what's the point of it all anyway?
    And if a Hub is so bad it needs rating down, surely it should be flagged.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm new here (second day) but I've noticed that shortly after I post a new hub, it goes down to 49.   It's almost like somebody here just doesn't like me :-)

I see no point in worrying about it.   If there is some jerk following you around, the rest of your visitors are ether going to offset that person or not.  If they don't, your post probably wasn't worth much anyway.

It's hard to imagine someone with so little else to do that they'd actually actually do that, isn't it?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This doesn't necessarily mean someone is rating your hub down.  There are other factors involved not controlled by members rating your hubs.

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It just seems like it happens after the first or second visitor.  Maybe it automatically goes down if a few people visit and don't rate?

Whatever - if it doesn't go back up, it wasn't worth much to begin with.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mine do that, too. 49 or 50 to start is normal, as far as I can tell.

13. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Ryan the ONE person that has consistently come to the forum complaining of abuse was told flat out by Paul Deeds once that the hub she was complaining about had never had one down rating.

So I don't really think that this is an issue that HP staff needs to spend a great deal of time on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)