jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

New Zealand nail 1st goal against Italy. Final Score 1 - 1.

1. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

After scoring first blood against World Champs Italy... the Kiwis dominate game until ref gives Italy a direct penalty to Draw the game in the first half. In the second half NZ hold out the champs to take a point.
    Corners allocated: Italy - 28  NZ - 0 What does that tell ya!!!

YeeHaa... A team of amateur players vs pros.
    GO KIWIS...

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

WOW, that's a great result.  And I missed it (sob). They didn't play it on basic cabe in the US--at least not that i could find.

2. Pearldiver profile image86

New Zealand rank 78 btw. lol

Proud to be Made in NZ. smile

There's only 4 million of us... lol

3. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

It was a really good result for you, this is a strange world cup!

To put this into perspective, Chris Killen came on loan to my local club the season before last. We were in the second tier of English football and were relegated.... he was one of the worst players to pull on our shirt that year.

The chances of an English or Italian player being picked for their national team whilst playing in that division are practically zero. Yet he is your star player.

So trust me, I understand just how much of an achievement that result is.

It has been a strange world cup, very strange, but good luck to you!

4. jenblacksheep profile image85
    jenblacksheepposted 6 years ago

Was an excellent result for NZ, was half watching whilst trying to do some backlinking. They said that one of the players they brought on was only Semi-pro and had to get special leave from working at a bank!

Loving that all the big teams are doing badly (other than England which sucks). It's a shame that none of the African teams are doing better tho.

Well done to New Zealand though. Great result

5. Pearldiver profile image86

He's Not Our Star Player Ryan!
    By a Long Shot.
    Our best player is a half who broke his shoulder against Australia.

These guys are just part time players - we're 12000 miles from other countries to play against.
    90% of them don't have clubs.
    Bettingwise NZ were 12-1 on a draw with Italy.
    This was a major result... similar to the Italian Rugby Team Drawing with the All Blacks. smile

NZ beat Serbia
    Lost to Chile
    Drew Slovarkia
    Drew Italy

1. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lol, ok fair enough, well if he isn't your star player he is at least the only one I have ever heard of lol

Having just said that, I have just looked at your world cup squad, and I have seen Rory Fallon play before. And of course, Ryan Nelson has done pretty well in the Premiership.

I don't know who 'Tommy Smith' is but he plays for a club just 50 miles away from my home, so I suppose I should have done.

I just randomly googled 'David Mulligan', and it confuses me how a player can play just 3 games in two years for a New Zealand club and make it into the world cup squad hmm Good enough for New Zealand but not good enough for Wellington Phoenix FC?

6. Pearldiver profile image86

Cheers for that Jen smile

Only 4 of our players in the squad of 23 are full time players.

We're used to being the underdogs. Kiwis generally bat higher than expected in most sports.

France are having tantrums (She'll be enjoying herself lol ) and have refused to train. They didn't deserve to be there after cheating with a handball goal against Ireland.  hahaha... what an excuse for playing badly anyway!! hmm

7. jenblacksheep profile image85
    jenblacksheepposted 6 years ago

Ye, of all the big teams I'm most glad that France are messing up. They have quality players but no form and no class either it seems. If England fail to get through I think I'm going to stay supporting Uruguay or an African team if any get through.