jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

an old story

1. lucieanne profile image81
    lucieanneposted 7 years ago

Can anyone answer my question please - If I cover an old story (from the 1800s, when I obviously wasn't around) that has been covered before by lots of other people, a bit like the 'Jack The Ripper' story, is this classed as plagiarism? It hasn't been done for ages, and I would be doing it in my own words.

1. travelespresso profile image81
      travelespressoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It's OK to write stories like that lucieanne. 

Plagiarism is copying the whole story, phrases, quotes or series of words etc of other writers without acknowledging their writing.
      It's OK to use some phrases, sentences etc from other writers but you must put them in quotation marks and acknowledge the source.

Happy writing.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Travelespresso's explanation about plagiarism, but would like to add that some people go out of their way to rewrite content written by others in order to hide the origins: It may still be plagiarism.

1. travelespresso profile image81
          travelespressoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

True Website Examiner!

1. profile image0

I'm glad you agree. There have been some fascinating court battles about that, some red cheeks too.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 7 years ago

Ideas are not subject to copyright, only manifest expressions. I don't see anything for you to worry about. If you do quote from other people's work, do so conservatively and with proper attribution.

3. lucieanne profile image81
    lucieanneposted 7 years ago

Okay. Thanks guys. I'll crack on with it then. I only stumbled on it whilst researching another subject, and I had never heard of it before, so the chances are there's a few more who haven't. I'll be sure to use the quotation marks where appropriate.

lucieanneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

One more thing, when I was reading this article from wikepedia I clicked on a link to a well known UK newspaper who wrote an article about this story in 2007 and it was virtually word for word the same as wikepedia's version. Hmmm I wonder who the culprit is.

1. profile image0

Wikipedia is licensed under a liberal Creative Commons license, it is free for anyone to use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Copyright

lucieanneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh right. I didn't know that.

working